Trailer hitches

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by whiskerbiscuit, Jul 16, 2006.

1. whiskerbiscuit

whiskerbiscuit New Member

State:
    Blue Island, Ill
    A big hello;I'm looking to have a hitch installed.I've never owned a boat before and in-need of some info.I want to pull a small 14' boat.What class type and any guesstamite (sp)on cost would be appreciated.......Mike

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Well that is kind of a loaded question there. Are you towing this 14 footer with a pickup? what are the specs on this boat there are some heavy little boats out and about. If it is just a little tiller job and towing with a pickup I would just use the bumber if you hae a normal step bumper mount your ball and go. If not then I would say just go with the normal class 3 hitch then you can tow just about anything you come acorss and is not any more expensive then wasting time with a class 2 most class 3/4 hitches run 100 to 150 bucks takes about 15 minutes to install if you have holes that are predrilled if not then be prepared to buy a real good drill bit and spend about 15 minutes per hole drilling. If your going to take it in your looking around 50 to 200 to have a hitch installed there are a lot of places that will just rape you on installation prices out there. on the wifes new toyota tundra reese class 3/4 hitch 120 bucks online free shipping local was 200 to 600 for same hitch install took me less then 10 minutes predrilled holes with nust welded in most shopes wanted 200 to install it.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    For a boat that size, a simple bumper hitch should work. Most pickups all ready have a hole there for the installation of a ball - total cost would be about 12 to 15 dollars. If it is an automobile, I would not recommend a hitch that is fastened to the bumper. You can get one which fastens to the frame starting at about 40.00 up. I would use a standard 2" ball instead of a 1 7/8 in ball. When running trailer lights, you would be yards ahead of the game to run a separate ground wire for each light and connecting it to the vehicle through the trailer's plug. That is where about 80 to 90 % of all light probles originate - a poor ground.

4. whiskerbiscuit

whiskerbiscuit New Member

State:
    Blue Island, Ill
    Thank's guy's..........Mike

5. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    have your receiver installed by a proffessional shop

6. clintonhawg1

clintonhawg1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    A class 2 will probably work but you will have a hard time finding 1 .Class 3 are most common.

7. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    A class 3 frame hitch with the ball & ball mounts are installed around here for about $250.00, which includes any wiring mods, should your truck not come prewired.

8. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    You may check prices while shopping around at a local Uhaul service center. The local one here is the cheapest place to buy a good hitch and installation is cheap. Ryder and others probably have just as good of a deal. Just a thought to save some cash.

9. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    it all dfepends on what kind of vehicle you have car truck or otherwise

10. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    If you have the tools and simple skills, installlation is easy.
    All the recievers that I've installed , I bought from "Agri-supply." They come pre-drilled to match the factory holes in your truck frame.(Frame drilling requires special tools/bits)
    As far as lighting hook-ups, just as easy. Go to your local automotive store, with the year make and model of truck you have. You'll find a "tee" fitting that will plug in to your factory harness underneath the rear bumper.Then buy the remainer of the harness to plug into the "Tee" and your vehicle is finished.
    A good tip already given, Ground the white wire from the trailer harness to the trailer it'self. Don't depend on the trailer ball to hitch for a groung. It's comes and goes and that ain't good.