Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to solder a new 4-way flat harness on my trailer. The harness I bought has 4 wires (white, brown, green, yellow) just like the harness on my truck. The old harness on the trailer is 4-way but has a 5th wire (brown/yellow). Do I splice both the brown and brown/yellow from my trailer together and solder those to the single brown on the new harness? Thanks

·
Registered
7,495 Posts
If you look at the other 'brown' wire on your old harness it should actually be brown/green.

All they did in this instance on your trailer was run the brown/yellow to the left side tail/running lights, and the brown/green to the right side tail/running lights.

Tie both of your 'brown' wires on your trailer (prob brn/yel and brn/grn actually) to the new brown wire on your 4 way plug and she ought to work!

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
marc. that brown/yellow wire is supposed to be mounted to the trailor,i believe.its been a while since i hooked one of those up,but i think thats how it is.i'm sure someone else will come through to confirm this,or prove me wrong.good luck

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
If you look at the other 'brown' wire on your old harness it should actually be brown/green.

All they did in this instance on your trailer was run the brown/yellow to the left side tail/running lights, and the brown/green to the right side tail/running lights.

Tie both of your 'brown' wires on your trailer (prob brn/yel and brn/grn actually) to the new brown wire on your 4 way plug and she ought to work!
this is exactly right.just checked mine and thats how it is.

·
Registered
7,495 Posts
Easiest way to prove the correct wiring if it is a 4-way flat with 5 wires is grab an ohmmeter and see if both 'browns' are connected together inside the molded part of the plug to the same pin on the 4 way flat. I think you'll find that to be the case.

I've seen this type of harness before with brn/yel running down one side and brn/grn down the other. It all ties into the brown from the tow vehicle for tail/running lights.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.