Trailer guide spacing

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by lastfling, Jun 26, 2009.

1. lastfling

lastfling New Member

State:
    NC
    Quick question here. I'm putting trailer guides on my trailer to help with loading. I found out real quick the boat (lowe 1648) is a bear to get on straight in a cross breeze. My question is how much space to allow between the guide and the side of the boat? I'm making the guides myself and am at the point of attaching them to the trailer, but wanted to know if there is a rule of thumb on this. :confused2:
    Thanks

2. bulethed

bulethed New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    with you boat on the trailer, snug em up to the sides with no space between them and the side of the boat. she will set on there the same way every time and it wont be a hassle to strap down in the rear.:wink:

bill.

3. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Keep inmind the side guides are just to guide you to the Correct spot on the bunks. Make real sure those bunks are right where they need to be and are carring the load on the area of the boat bottom that was designed for the job.
    I like to run the side rails with an 1" or so perside clearence . Thats seems to Help hold down the scouing of the carpet on the boat.
    O h yeah.. another thought.
    Some times how deep you back in can really affect how your boat loads too.

good luck with your project.
    ron

4. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    heres my redneck trailer guide on's. theres about 2" between the guides and the boat. i can load the boat against the tide and battling 30mph winds now:big_smile:

Attached Files:

5. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Redneck? Has anyone tried to pump there RV waste in one of those yet?

6. Haha!:tounge_out: Yeah, those pipes up to code? And how's that there trollin' motor do with pushin' that baby onto the bunks?:eek:oooh: Hahaha....:wink:

7. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    This caused more problems for me than anything until i figured out how deep to put my trailer to load the boat. If you are too deep the boat will slide right off the side of the trailer.

As for guide ons, i think i have 1 to 2 inches of clearance on each side. Its not there to hold the boat on the trailer, just to guide it onto the bunks correctly so that the bunks will hold it.

8. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    I forgot to pull a permit:crazy:lol
    I tell you what getting the lights up and out of the water was the best mod Ive done to the whole rig those lights are about a year old and still look brand new inside. no more worrying about trailer lights going out.

9. Absoloutely. Better vision for drivers behind you , a good night light when you are pulling your boat out, definateley saves the components from water damage, and out of the impact zone of curbs and ramp debris.:wink:

10. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
    About an inch on each side should do, the front of the boat is narrow so getting it started isn't that hard> But the trick is how high and how long do you need them? You want to make sure they just break the waters surface enough for you to one see them and two catch and help guide your boat. Mine are about all the way to the trailers fender and set about 4 to 5 inches higher than the fender well ( I have thought about extending them all of the way to the fender well.) With my 17 foot G3 I just set the trailer with about in inch of the bunk showing and line it up with good speed and drive it on the trailer. When it is on the trailer sitting in the water it should be solid on all bunks. If it is floating you are to deep. If you cant power it fairly close to your winch you are to shallow.

Get your bunks and get your speed control down. To little speed and you lose control of your boat to the wind and you end up setting sideways on your trailer. Thats good for a laugh but you wont find it funny.

When I got my first boat I sucked at loading the darn thing the wind hated me. People watching me made me nervious and ect. The best thing I did was to go to a dead boat around ramp around 100pm and practice loading and finding the sweet spot on the trailer. How deep to put it and how much gas can I give you motor and ect(wear shorts and get wet and act like you like it.) With practice you look like you know what you are doing. go figure? Now I almost always ride home with dry feet. Yea

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Rodney. That was a great post. You hit the nail on the head. Practice makes perfect until that one day it don't work! LOL

12. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
    Thanks JC glad to be here:big_smile: