Trailer bunks

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by boliver, Sep 5, 2006.

1. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    I need to replace trailer bunk boards and carpet. How is a good way to get boat off and back on without taking it to water as i also want to repaint trailer? Also are the teflon glide for bunks better for loading and unloading by yourself? thanks boliver

2. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Harrell 3 years ago I rebuilt the bunks on my trailer by myself.I used a kids swing set to hang one end of the boat and the jacks for my pickup bed camper on the other end.If you don't have a swing set or the camper jacks you can build A frames to lift the boat.You can take 2 or even 3 fence posts to make an A frame and 2 A frame sets with a pole across them will hold up one end of the boat and a setup like that on each end of the boat will hold it till you can rebuild the bunks.Pm me if you want and I'll send you my phone number and you can call me and I'll tell you how to do this.

3. craigr

craigr New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    What to lift &/or support the boat off the trailer depends on the size of your boat!

My 16' flat bottom we man-handled off the trailer, to the ground. Now that I have a garage to work in, I would have used the rafters to lift & support it - but it is relatively light. I wouldn't dream of doing that with my newer boat.

You need to figure out what your boat weighs or at least close to what it weighs.

craigr

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    In my opinon, the easiest way to replace the bunks is to make your new ones, carpet them, and the next time you go fishing, simply remove the old ones and install the new ones before you leave. Boats have been damaged accidentally when off loading in the back yard.

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I don't know what kind of trailer you have but if you want to get out of the bunk replacement business go to Lowes and purchase your 2x4s out of the vinyl material.That way they never rot,or need replacement.OR get BUNKAPS from Cabelas which are simply vinyl caps that go over you current wooden bunks.Makes the boat easier to load which also makes it easier to off load,right ON the ramp if you arent careful.:lol: :eek:oooh: :smile2: :tounge_out: No more carpet for me when I refit my trailer.

6. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Second Jim On The Vinyl Boards But If You Opt To Use The Wood Boards, Coat Them With Some Type Of Sealer, Not If They Are Pressure Treated, Then Use Stainless Steel Staples. They Have Them @ Lowe's.

Please Take My Advice & DO NOT Use A Spray Called "Liquid Rollers". The Boat Will Come Off Prior To You Getting It In The Water. Been There, Done That:eek:oooh: :sad2:

7. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio

i agree with 100% man. it will save you from any accidents

8. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I have a fiberglass 17' boat and I just jacked up under the transom with a floor jack with some padding on it and left the bow down on the front roller on the trailer when I replaced the bunks and rollers on my trailer. The boat only has to be jacked up an inch or so off the bunks. The bunks on most trailers are only under the rear half of the boat so I don't see a need to remove it completely from the trailer.

9. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    thank you everyone , those are some really good ideas. I really like the idea of jacking up boat a couple of inches. do the vinyl boards moke it easier to load and unload. my boat is a 17ft. fiberglass VIP with a 125 motor. so it pretty heavy. I was going to put the vinyl from cabelas or bps but if solid vinyl works as well i had rather have them.thanks again everyone. that what ilove about this board is everyone is really helpful boliver

10. craigr

craigr New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I found the negative comments about carpeting suprising.

I've heard of too many people dropping their boat on the ramp from roller trailers.

My two boats have both had carpets on the bunks & I think I prefer the drag of the carpet, though there really isn't that much if you put the trailer in the water. I've unloaded & reloaded other boats with roller trailers & don't see the great advantage, plus the weight of the boat is not spread out as well as with bunks.

Just my opinion,

craigr

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I like the carpet over the vinyl because I unloaded a boat on the ramp once. Raising the boat in the rear will give you plenty of room to change out the bunks. I take a large candle and cut it up and put it in a big jar and add some acetone to it and let it melt and when I go fishing I unload my boat and then just take an old paint brush and brush the mixture on the carpeted bunks and when I return the acetone is dry and the wax is still on the bunks. 3 years down the road the bunks are still slick and in good shape.

12. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    thanks bubba there are some sharp guys with great ideas on this board. your idea sounds super. boliver

13. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    iv thought about putting flip up rollers on either side and doing away with bunks . id just let my bro take the boat out while im working on the trailer

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I don't think anyone has made any "Negative" comments on carpet or suggested rollers as an alternative.The bad part about carpet is it has to be replaced.Secondly the wooden bunks also have to be replaced because they rot.Vinyl doesn't rot or need to be replaced.Simple solution to the problem.Boliver the BUNKAPS from Cabelas is a good solution also.I really think in 5 years or so you wont be able to get wooden bunks on a boat trailer anymore.You can still carpet the vinyl bunks if you are concerned about dropping the boat off the trailer.I'll make the same comment here about dropping the boat that I made about cutting your hand with braided line.If you do it twice then you are to stupid to own a boat.:eek:oooh: :lol: If you use bunk slicks or vinyl or anything that makes the bunk surface more slippery DONT unhook the strap or cable until you have the wheels in the water and be SURE and hook it back up along with the safety chain before you pull out of the water.Its that simple:smile2:

15. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    jim i went to lowes today to get vinyl but they didn't have them. i guess i will keep looking around. boliver

16. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    I just replaced my bunk boards too.
    they were 10 years old.
    BPS sells the carpet in 8 inch wide and 12 inch wide.
    8 inch is almost too narrow, next time I would go with the 12 inch wide.

17. SS minner

SS minner New Member

State:
    California, Missouri
    Has anyone ever tried using vinyl fencing to cap the 2x4 bunks? I was thinking of buying a vinyl fence rail from Lowe's and ripping it down the middle. Just not sure if the I.D. is 1.5 inches or not?:confused2:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  18. way west

way west New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I followed the suggestion by Cantstopgrandma that is in the Member Library. As far as I'm concerned UMHW plastic is the only way to fly. My boat used to be a bear to load. Now, even my five-foot-tall wife can winch it up. Here is the post:
    [​IMG] Is your boat hard to load and unload?
    My 1448 flatbottom jon was a bear to load and unload on my bunk trailer without enough water to float the boat on and off. I came close to aborting a fishing trip the other day because the ramp closest to my catfishing hole sucks. Back tires on truck were wet, and the bunks weren't even wet on the trailer! I've tried candle wax, which works good for a couple of load/unload cycles, and even thought about roller bunks (which are reallly expensive). I had bought a set of bunk slicks from boaters world, and i actually think they were worse than without them.

The solution: I did some research and found UHMW plastic. Its very tough, and supposed to be as slippery as Teflon. I bought two 5' sticks of this stuff, 1.5" wide by 1/2" thick. I rounded the back end and drilled/countersunk holes, and screwed it down to the bunks (after removing the carpet). This stuff is SLICK!!! I could have cranked the boat onto the trailer with one finger, and that was with only 4 inches of bunk in the water. For $20.70 plus shipping, i have finally solved my problem.

I got mine from: http://www.usplastic.com and search for UHMW. Its under bar stock. I hope this helps someone else out. I struggled with this boat for 2 years! Just dont unhook your winch until you're ready for the boat to come off the trailer.

19. SS minner

SS minner New Member

State:
    California, Missouri
    That looks like some great stuff! I'll have to go that route. Thanks

20. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    It works really well. On one really steap local ramp, i dont even put the hubs under water, just give it a shove, and it slides off so quickly you really have to hold on tite to the rope. It caught me offguard the first time and about drug me overtop of the trailer. It isn't as good as rollers, but its about as close as you will get without the real thing, IMHO. I've never had the boat slide off by itself when i've unhooked the strap, but it takes very little shove to push it off.

It also allows you to get rid of the carpet on the bunks, which traps moisture, causing the boards to rot quicker. When i pulled the carpet off my bunks to install the UHMW strips, the pine was discolored and black in a lot of places from MOLD. It just never dried out. No more going thru the pain of replacing carpet either. I will never own another bunk trailer without this stuff. If you are worried about your boat coming off the trailer prematurely, just keep the strap hooked up until you are ready to launch....problem solved.