Trailer Bunk Question

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Patmansc, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    I need to replace the 2 lower bunks on my trailer as they are rotting out, and I thought of using composit boards instead of treated ones (they will never rot), and instead of putting carpet on them using the teflon-coated E-Z slide trailer pads from Cabelas. Any thoughts on how this might work?

2. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    If you're using the plastic boards, you may not need to get the teflon pads. They may be slippery enough on their own. I'd at least try it once before i put the money out for the pads.

3. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I think the (plastic) boards would have a tendency to warp under the weight of the boat in doing so would put strain on the transom.
    Real solid wood would be you safest bet IMHO.

4. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Dave, I had considered that, but really didn't put too much thought into it. So what if I used treated boards - would the trailer pads work without having to add the carpet?

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Treated wood would work on a fiberglass hull. Think it would cause a chemical reaction with aluminum though. Why not just go to some old carpet outlet. Bet they have enough carpet in the trash to cover your bunks. It is easy to put them on... just wait tell you go fishing, the boats in the water, and remove the old carpet and put new on. With carpet you can get the material from cabala's which will enable the boat to slide easier, or you can melt some paraffin or candle wax and brush the mix on the carpet. Either way, make sure you have a line on the boat when you go to launch it. LOL

6. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have a 20' Xpress and bought some of the trailer slides from Ironwood Pacific. I'm glad I did! My boat loads and unloads a lot easier now. My biggest problem was in the winter my boat would freeze to the bunks, problem solved.

7. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    I did exactly what you are talking about no carpet just slides from bass pro,they work great these are on treated lumber. they dodn't look as good as it would with carpet but work great. boliver

8. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    The carpet is what causes the wood to rot so fast. I bought the pressure treated wood. Stained them black to match the trailer, put on three coats of the Helmsman urethane and then install the slick sticks. Looks good, works good and should last a loooong time.

9. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Pat
    I just replaced my pontoon bunks (14 ft.) and used treated lumber, covered them in a high grade outdoor carpet from Lowes and installed the 4 in wide bunk slicks down the entire length of the bunks leaving 6 in between each slick. They also cut the carpet in 10 inch wide strips for me wich made it a lot easier and faster for me. Just slop on some glue , wrap it around the 2x4 and staple it off. I didnt want to use the narrow slicks so I bought the wide ones that they say are for 2x6. They fit perfect to cover the entire width of a 2x4 and make all the difference in the world launching and loading. My trailer was only 2 years old and the bunks were rotted through.....

10. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Here's the end result, guys: I decided to replace all 4 bunks, using treated lumber & only the glide pads, no carpet. I think that they came out looking ok, and they work great. Plus, I made the side bunks 18" longer than the originals, as I thought that the added length would help guide the boat better on windy days. They were not difficult to make, and installing them took only about 1 hour. Thanks for all of your comments & suggestions.

Attached Files:

11. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    You gonna like dat!!:big_smile:

12. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    The finished product looks great. Well done!

13. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    looks great! One of my boat trailers are in need of some attention. I like how that turned out and I like the fact that there is very little of anything to hold water and promote rot. I think I'm gonna use your idea:smile2: