Trailer bunk carpet material?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by kevinw, May 16, 2007.

1. kevinw

kevinw New Member

State:
    Burkburnett Texas
    I have a pontoon boat and the carpet on the trailer is ripped and falling off. The lumber looks good but I need to replace the carpet. I priced it at about 20 dollars for 12 feet. Can I use ordinary indoor outdoor carpet or will this damage or scratch my pontoons?

2. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    David I don't know much about toons but I have seen a lot of trailer bunks recoverd with indoor carpet and it never hurt an al.or fiberglass boat.45 years ago I even saw my daddy use old firehose to cover bunks and it worked for an fiberglass boat.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If you visit a store which sells/installs carpet, they will generally give you all the carpet you could possibly want. It would only take 30 to 40 minutes to replace the carpeting several times a year. Don't see the need to purchase the expensive outdoor stuff when it is just gonna last about a year longer.

4. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Not sure how everyone else feels about it but we did'nt put any on ours, just left the wood bare. The thinking is that a wet board will be slicker than wet carpet and it will dry out faster to help the wood last longer. Working great so far and it's been about a year.

Joe

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma

I've thought about doing that myself, but concerns about the effect that might have on the hull have stopped me. Any signs of wear on the hull? Is it aluminum, or plastic?

6. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    if you can find some old cutting boards or a place that makes them, get and cut them to fit along the 2x4's and you will have a super slick loading board. be careful at the ramp when you unload as the boat will come off real easy. cutting boards are the same material that some of the fishing stores sell as sliks to put on the trailer. you can look them up at bass pro or cabella's if you want to see how to put it on the trailer.

7. kevinw

kevinw New Member

State:
    Burkburnett Texas
    The bare wood thing... Did you do this on a pontoon, alum, or fiberglass?

8. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    It's an aluminum boat and shows no wear, and the wood still looks great.

Joe

9. George Graham

George Graham New Member

State:
    Texas
    I bought my '78 16 ft Lowe vee bottom new.

About a year or so later, the carpet covering the runners started coming apart and the untreated wood was rotting at the bolt holes.

I replaced the regular wood runners with treated wood without carpeting and haven't looked back since, 27 years and the wood is still good.

aluminum hull not damaged and I don't have to worry about replacing carpet.

I do spray silicone on the runners every so often, this helps.

I might try those 'sliks' mentioned earlier or try the cutting board trick.

I have a friend whose father siliconed his carpet bunks and was backing down a ramp with the boat not tied to trailer, applied brakes gently, car slowed but boat launched onto dry land.

Be careful.

George

10. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    "Slickboard" ie HDPE comes in 1 1/4 thich and would work well. last forever.

11. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Go to lowes or home depot and get their marine grade carpet. It wont cost you much for covering your bunks and the heavy rubber backing will help it last a long time.

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I ripped the carpet off when it wore through and put BUNKAPS on and they work great.Next iteration I am going to replace the wood altogether with the new vinyl 2"x6"s you can buy at Lowes, Home Depot etc.I fully suspect with all the wood replacements now available for fences and decks that wood will disappear from boat trailers in the next 5 years or so.:smile2:

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Not if wood is cheaper:big_smile:
    If there is a corner to be cut on tight profit margins its cut.