Trailer brake lights

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by tangell88, Jul 24, 2009.

1. tangell88

tangell88 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    i wired up some lights on my trailer tonight. everything works good except when the headlights are on when you hit the brakes the lights go out. if the headlights are off the brake lights work fine. what could be my problem?

2. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Check your ground connections REAL good. If you didn't wire a ground thru the pigtail to the vehicle, please do so.

HTH, Elliot

3. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    yup sounds like a ground problem

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Depending upon the year of your truck, you may need a trailer light adapter kit. Newer trucks have them built in, but there were a few years the owner had to add the adapter. Also, check the circuit between the headlights and the trailer lights. You may be shorting out when the head lights are on.

5. tangell88

tangell88 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    thanks for the help added an extra ground wire and everything works great

6. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    I dont know if its a ground issue, but when i lauch my boat, and everything gets wet, my lights freak out and everything goes bonkers, im assuming its because its all wet, and is grounded/shorted out while wet. so thats why its important to have a ground on the trailer too. this should help my situation as well im assuming.

7. coolbreeze70

coolbreeze70 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    sounds like you are getting water into your system. I disconnect my lights while putting trailer into the water. I do this to ensure that the bulb does not blow or break. The bulb may be hot and the water cold issue. I probably dont need to but its just a habit.