Trailer blinkers

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by wayne1967, Aug 15, 2009.

1. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just got through hooking up a new light set for my boat trailer. I know I did everything like the manual said and my taillights, brakelights and blinkers work when my running lights are off but when I turn the blinkers on while my headlights/taillights on they flash left -right, left -right???? What the heck is the matter?

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Bad connection or short somewhere.. need to recheck all the wires.:wink:

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Are wiring this trailer to a Ford truck? If so an adapter may be needed.

4. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    No it is a chevy. I was wrong. I checked it in the dark. When I hit the brakes I loose everything. No shorts. One continuous new wiring harness.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The -roblem has to be in the adapter from the truck. Check and see if someone has made a wiring change to the truck adapter area, or if it is a chevy plug in harness. You have a wire going to a wrong location.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You need to ground it better. Its trying to ground through the ball. Add you a separate ground from the vehicle to the white ground on the trailer wiring.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'd recommend you call your friendly auto supply store and give them the year and make of your vehicle. I can't remember the year, but on my 2004 it required a wiring adapter before I could get my trailer lights. It wouldn't hurt to check. LOL

8. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've got the white ground attached from the plug to the trailer. Also back at each light. I am wondering if the 7 post to 4 post adapter I bought is not grounding? The truck is only 3 years old and the lady that had it before me never towed anything so I know there has been no changes in it. I am going to clean up my white grounds right now and see if it does anything. They were a little rusty but not that bad. Man, I am so mad right now I can't talk. Had to edit this thing twice.:angry::big_smile:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I'm going with Bubba. Bad ground. Check them all. I have had the same problem. It was a ground at a tailight.

10. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    im gonna say bad ground also but if not get a test meter and make sure you have voltage at the plug on the truck

11. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Alright! It was that little bit of rust between the trailer and the connecter. Headed to the river. Thanks everyone.

12. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    make sure you use some electrolite grease in the connections plug ends and bulb sockets. You'll have allot less problems in the future. The other advice was right on. Check to see if you can get an adapter.

13. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    Hey Rusty Shackelford,
    is that grease your talking about so there is a connection while is in water and doesnt get corroded.

14. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    yes, it helps to conduct electricity between the 2 plugs too.