trail dikes

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by camochris2, Aug 1, 2009.

1. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    i was woundering if some of you guys could help me with how you fish the trail dikes on the missouri river for blues.
    i hear a lot of you talking about fishing them is a day or night spot and what should i be looking for any help would be great

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Going to be a daytime spot for me. Basically you're fishing the current seam coming off the end of the dyke. There's usually a hump at the end of the dike, and a ledge under the seam towards the bank side. If you run upstream through the seam, you should see fish holding tight to the bottom right behind the drop before you come up to the dike. Anchor so the back of the boat is about even with the end of the dike. That's how I would fish it-doesn't always work, but I've caught some decent fish in those spots.

3. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    thanks i have caught fish off them but never a blue was just woundering and i see i spelled dyke wrong my bad sorry guys :smile2:

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Heck, I spelled it two different ways...:smile2::smile2::tounge_out:

5. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fishen trail dikes is a hit or miss affair. One bait goes on the end, one out in the current in the deep notch and one out on the shallow flat to the side that 90% of the time has a sharp drop 20 to 30 yards down stream. Ya mark big fish holden try em. Its mostly a big flatt pattern after the spawn, good night or day. But big blues cruise the current line in the deep fast water of the channel. And one that slams a big chunk of cut bait out in the deep rough water is gona be a good one. Not all trail dikes are the same find one with shad and carp in behind it, near a big sandflat in the middle of a chute ( strait strech in the river) and about 30 to 60 yards from the bank. The dike should run up to the bank and point down river about 30 to 40 deg out to the channel and have some dead water behind it. :big_smile::big_smile::big_smile: Jackpot for a crack @ a big Flatthead. Expect to only get one or 2 if ya get bit. Ya hit the lil 5 to 20lbrs move to another with deeper water.:wink: Good thing about some spots like that, it will produce a good flat almost every week. (mutters why do I give these secerts away):roll_eyes: