Trail Creek Lake Michigan

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Shad Man, May 21, 2009.

1. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Well I have been up on Lake Michigan working on Yellow Perch for the last three weeks straight and I have been dying to get out and wet a line. Being on the water everyday and not being able to fish is a killer. So tonight I went out front of the place I am staying on trail creek which flows into Lake Michigan a few hundred feet away. I fished for a couple hours and had a few hits on sucker (only bait I could get). I had one nice fish on 8 to 10 lb channel. I lost it trying to lift it up and over the break wall. Next time I will take the net with me!!!!:cool2:

2. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm right here in Michigan City but never tryed the lake for cats. lol

3. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    We catch a few nice ones every year in front of the DNR station. People have been catching them out of burns ditch the past few weeks as well.

4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've heard of people catching them in the Harbors on the main lake before. I looked up some google images of Trail Creek and it looks quite fishy...:cool2:

5. fullstringer

fullstringer Member

State:
    Indiana
    Man the bait to use there if you could some would probably be Gobys. Have you ever tried them?

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I always wondered about cats in lake Michigan... even made a post in that section.... that section is DEAD lol. I just came under the impression there wasn't much of anything to talk about catfish-wise in Michigan- and for the life of me, I can't understand why- I can't help but imagine there are monster cats in there somewhere.

7. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Bill,

I have family up in the Chicagoland area and I've heard of them catching good sized channels out of the harbors and around the man made rock piers out there on the lake. They're in there for sure.

8. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Yeah when we get bored after work we fish for them. We actually ate some of them last summer. The other grad student is actually fishing for them right now:wink:

9. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Thats one hell of a softshell!!!!

10. matahone

matahone New Member

State:
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    I catch a lot of channels and a few blues from in front of the DNR. It is a good little spot for cats when the steelhead and salmon aren't running. Although I have caught some nice cats while they were running also. I haven't heard of any monsters but I am sure there are some lurking around some where.

11. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Tried Gobies both live and dead but no hits.

12. matahone

matahone New Member

State:
    New Carlisle, Indiana
  13. duff

duff Guest

Are you working for BSU? I worked on the perch project for 2 summers back in 96 & 97 then we did a catfish survey on the lower wabash for BSU in 98. Been the last real fisheries work since I graduated...:sad2:

14. Northstar

Northstar New Member

State:
    Michigan
    There are some cats to be had in the big lake. They tend to hang around large drownmouth rivers where the dump in. Mid summer when the water warms and the alewife are still around. Some large fish know that alewife often die in large numbers and are there to pig out. There are smaller fish that also seem to hang out in schools. I used to catch them perch fishing. I don't fish the lake and river mouth to often because I have better spots. I think there is some real potential to take large fish. The the problem is the lake only get right every few years. This is not one of those years. The alewife are beginning to head back out and the lake temps are low.

15. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Yeah I'm a masters student working on early life history of Yellow Perch. I am also working on the catfish data set that you helped collect. Where you work now.

16. duff

duff Guest

Currently and hopefully for the rest of time a gov't contractor supporting the Crane Naval Base. Not squeezing fish but earning a living for my wife and kids:wink:

17. matahone

matahone New Member

State:
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    Steelhead are in the rivers as of about a week ago. THere was a pretty good run of them that came in. A buddy of mine aand I went out about a week ago fro a couple hours in the morning. He caught one and lost 5. Me..., well..., I had fun.