Trail Cams

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by smhmc6, Nov 17, 2008.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Alright guys, those of you who use trail cams let me know which ones you like/dislike. Do you have to spend $400 to get one that is reliable? I've read the reviews for just about all of them on cabelas and bps websites, seems like every one has a flaw, short battery life, switches to nightvision too soon and takes white pictures at dusk, etc. Which ones have worked well for you without spending a fortune? I know you get what you pay for, but come on I have a $170 digital camera and it takes amazing pictures. Do you like IR or would you rather a flash? I've heard stories about people driving around public grounds at night and watching for a flash in the woods so they can go steal them. What do you think? I don't think the flash spooks the deer, it probably startles 'em pretty good the first time, but the ones with flashes seem to take multiple pictures of the same deer day after day. I'm more worried about drawing human attention. Let me know anything and everything that you know about these things and what you think are pros and cons of them. Thanks.

2. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Steve I don't use them but I have a couple of buddys that started using them this year, and can say that they give you a false expectation of your hunting area, both the guys (1 from MO & 1 from Tenn.) are still hunting the stands passing on deer waiting for the big one they seen on they trail cam, and the season has been open for 2 months,lol.

So all I can say, is if you do get one use it for the tool that it is and pattern the deer movements in the area your going to hunt as far as times of the day they come through and how often, and don't wait on that one nice buck you saw on the cam, he may never pass that way again. good hunting

3. smhmc6

smhmc6 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks Kenny. I can't say I'm much of a trophy hunter, if fact I still haven't shot a buck. Not that I haven't had the opportunity, I just haven't had an opportunity at a buck that is old enough, public hunting grounds seem to have terrible age structure... and I'm sure the old ones are way to smart to show themselves with all the pressure. So I don't think I would use it to hunt that "monster" but I would like to do just as you said. Pattern the time of day they move through an area and which way they are headed. That way I could move up or down the trail so that they will be there during day light. Right now I'm hunting public grounds (next year hopefully I can find a landowner who will let me hunt, but thats another story) and there is this cut corn field I've been hunting. I don't think I've ever seen more sign in an area and there are some monster tracks in there. The edge of the field is left standing and there are WELL traveled trails all the way down this field. I'm talking 2 feet wide in 5 foot tall crp grass... it looks like a cattle trail. I know the deer are using this area, but I've probably wasted a month of hunting time hunting it because they are not in there until who knows what hour in the night. I've since moved to the north end of this field and started seeing a whole lot more deer. Long story short... I would have known that if I had a camera to tell me when they were in that area.

4. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I use the wildview original. You dont have to mess with film and they take an alright pic. They wont caust you that much. I bought mine for like $60. One draw back is mine doesnt have a date and time on it. I know people that use all kinds and it is just a matter on how much you want to spend, I have one buddy that still has the film kind and loves them. I myself dont really want to waste the money on developing film. Wish you the best of luck on which one you decide. Shawn

5. smhmc6

smhmc6 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I appreciate the advice. I did a little more research on them and I noticed that they recommend that you set up on either the north or south end of a trail, can't remember which, but the idea would be to minimize the effect of sun in the back ground. I think it was set up on the south and face north. Alot of the complaints on the reviews were that the pictures were washed out from the sun, maybe those people just didn't set them up right. The low battery life doesn't have anything to do with set up though, so I'll probably stay away from those.

6. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I also have some of the Wildview originals. Ya they are not the top of the line. At night the deer needs to be close or you just get pictures of eyes. No time and date on them. I have good luck if you use name brand batteries. I get a month out of 4 batteries. I plan on trying rechargables next year. But if you go to walmart at the end of july - beginning of August they always have this camera marked half off. 2 years ago my buddy bought 2 for $35 each. He bought 3 more last year for the same price. This year I bought 5 for $35 each. You can't beat that. I plan on getting a couple better ones next year. I will put my cheapies out in several spots next year. When I get a good spot, I will swap that camera out for the better one for better night pictures and time and date. But for $35 you won't go wrong. You can afford to have several cameras out and get a pattern on the deer instead of one $400 camera and see the same deer in the same place all the time. Here are 4 pictures of the same buck taken with my $35 cameras. The first one was around the first of July when he was still growing antlers. The second was the end of july 1/4 mile west of the first camera. Third was first week of August 300 yards north of the first camera. Last picture was middle of August at the same camera as the third picture. Notice the last picture he is out of velvet. I have over 500 nice pictures of deer with the cheap cameras and haven't had one problem with them. They aint fancy, but $35 is a heck of a deal.

Attached Files:

7. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Here is the last picture

Attached Files:

8. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    ONe tip for you on using the camera...dont set the date just use the time (unless your cam will show both). Its better to know when the activity is taking place to make sure its during legal time so you can judge where they're coming from to set up on them. I know one area thats a rub line. Not one deer walks past it during legal hours.