Traeger Pellet Grills

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by gargoil77, Jul 4, 2008.

1. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Anyone out there have a Traeger pellet grill? A friend won one in a raffle 1 year ago and never used it and gave it to me. What a guy!
    I have the cheapest one they have and it cost $700! I wouldn't have ever bought one because of the cost. But after using it I would have definitley saved money for it. It's electric and uses wood pellets. Once you feel the hopper up you turn it on and the auger moves pellets into the firepot. The hot rod catches the pellets on fire then turns off. The fire continues and is controlled by choosing which setting you want.
    It's like cooking over wood cause the pellets are saw dust binded together. You can smoke, grill, bbq and bake on it.
    I've read that you can't burn anything on it. Can't tell ya if you can or not cause I only cooked leg quarters yesterday and two whole chickens today. Both turn out outstanding. It was the juiciest chicken I've ever had. Flavor was great. Tomorrow I'm going to try some spareribs.
    If anyone else out there has one, I'd love to hear what you have to say about them. Good or bad. I need some recipes to try out.

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Wow, never heard of such a thing Mark. Sounds like it's going to provide you with many great meals.

I like cooking over wood, but can't really have a campfire in my backyard (in the city limits). I've used regular wood in a charcoal grill before though, and always enjoyed how the food turned out.

Hopefully someone here knows something about them, and will chime in.

Hey, has that grandaughter arrived now buddy?

3. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Put some pork chops on. Got a little distracted and turned out good but a little dry. Opened a can of corn and dumped in a metal bowl. Placed on the grill and let it smoke for about an hour. Tasted pretty good.Need to pay alittle more attention!

4. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Mark I have had one for about a year now, my son gave it to me as a gift last xmas. His father in law is the best friend of the guy that owns Treager grills. That is how he knew about them. I am a cook and a weber cook too and this is a great unit for sure. Just think of it as a pellet stove that smokes, the unit is the best and it sure makes smoking meats a breeze, best unit I have on my deck and it will make a lazy cook out of you in a hurry.

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Showme yea that guy aint been on the site since 7-31-12 so doubt he will read these lol. I love my traeger wouldnt trade it for nothing. The Mak or Yoder are very good units also. Traeger has made smoking foods almost error proof.

6. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Couple more guys from CA got Traeger grills, not sure what style, but I saw one in a store and figured it cost as much as I would spend on food in a year. Maybe not that much, but it was a lot. I dont' do that much no more, so I will stick to charcoal or gas.

7. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Well Plainsman I wouldn't have one either if my kid hadn't sent it, but boy am I glad he did. Its a smoking oven really, you can set it to smoke or all the way to 450* and just make sure it don't runout of pellets cuz then it shuts off. Its has a finish like a weber, will never rust, just a quality unit and I finally have a really good smoker plus anything else I want to do with it. Plus living in Minn. like you do this has a temp dial like a oven so it will always sray at the temp you set it at OUTSIDE.

8. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Also you will notice that when your smoking say 250 down the outside you can still touch lol. Being in cold weather I recommend putting a few fire brick inside to help it hold temps better. Or a person can buy the blanket for it.
    There are all kinds of aftermarket goodies for it like hopper extensions etc if your interested let me know I will give you links.