Traditional Methods - An opportunity for YOU to be heard by the powers that be!

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by seacatfish, Sep 1, 2008.

1. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Brother traditional fishermen. Capt Paul, the founder of the mighty BOC, has asked for opinions on how the site can be made better. This is YOUR OPPORTUNITY to be heard, not just by those we must respond to when they bash our traditions, but by the creators of our on-line meeting place. The link below is to the thread in the NEWS section.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91480

There have been several well made posts by cats4uandme and metalman about our feelings. Now is the time to let our numbers show!! Please take the time to post on this thread.

2. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    define the word tradition lets see would that be my granpa teaching my dad and all my uncles to noodle and them in turn teaching me and I in turn teaching my girls

3. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Yep, Bill, that is exactly what I mean by tradition. My kids can depend on a few traditions we have started in our family. One is every time we are on the way home from selling grouper, we stop at Dairy Queen. Why? Because it`s tradition, and they can depend on it.

4. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    To clarify, Please take the time to go to the thread in the link above and post your position. :big_smile:

5. DoubleG

DoubleG New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I do not have a problem with someone practicing CPR. I personally will keep fish for my family when the freezer is low or empty and don't give it a second thought. From what I have seen and heard, There is only a certain percentage that will bash our traditions. They also seem to bash other threads such as gear, politics, etc. IMO this is a personality thing that will never be changed or reasoned with. If changes are wanted, needed, requested, or whatever, I feel that in the interest of the B.O.C. all brothers and sisters have to be held accountable for there words. If it is over the line, delete it, If they do it again, delete it, third time your out.. Now who is to decide what is over the line, The moderators have the final say. If you or I don't like it, tough. There has to be rules and regulations in any organizations that must be followed. I really enjoy this place but if it goes to all CPR, I will have to find another forum. Thanks for listening, Gary...

6. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I agree with ya, I am a quasi CPR guy in regards to I think anything over 15lbs should be released. But I am not going to raise a fuss if you keep anything over 15lbs...that is your right. I don't have any issues with Noodling( all thought I do think its crazy:eek:oooh:) or jugs, lines, etc. He11 I have a couple of lines out now. I like to release fish into hot grease as much as the next guy. But there will be a time when threads about "My new PB" will get fewer and farther between and we will have to discuss policing ourselves. Just my $0.02

7. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    I like that word Tradition! It really means a lot to me. I like the sound of Traditional fishing methods too. I learned on a cane pole then learned how to set and run trotlines with my grandfather. It was years before I could get me a store bought rod and reel. Already teaching my granddaughters how to fish the way I was taught. Responsibly.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I will say that traditionally,I have allways fished with BOTH trotlines and r/r why knock tradition.

9. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Speaking of tradition, fishing and hunting runs in my family. My father and grandfather were both hunters. They taught me the way of fishing and hunting. I used a stick and kite line with a weight and hook to catch bullheads out of my grandfather's pond. I dug up sewer worms for bait and had a blast catching fish on them. I remember keeping most of the fish I caught and my dad cleaned them for us to eat. These days, I've learned the importance of CPR and have practiced it on most fish over 10lbs. I'm not bashing anyone for keeping bigger fish. That's your business and you are entitled to keep whatever you catch, as long it's legal for your state's regulations. You've payed your dues. License, gas, equipment and so forth. Ways of fishing including rod and reel, trotlines, set lines, bank fishing and from the boat, noodling, should not be bashed by anyone. It's your way and that's fine!!

Thanks.
    Mark..

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i have friends on both sides. and i have friends here in town that kill snakes. wich i despise. i will drink a beer with a guy thats never ate a fish. i will drink a coke with a guy that doesnt drink. ill hunt with a guy that doesnt fish.

but when he tells me how unsportsman like i am for doint something legal and that has put food on the table for my family. thats when i have issues. acceptance. thats key. if you hate to see pics of dead fish or cannot read a story about someone killing a fish for food without telling them off maybe you should concider not being a member of an all catfishing site.

just as i wouldnt join a snake killers site. this site was designed to be a community of folks from all walks of life. from DR'S with nice boats and cash going on trips and guides to guys like me who need to shower after work not before and cant wait to grab a cold beer and hook up my old used boat and get filthy stinking dirty and catch some fish to skin for my meals. cpr is a good thing. i support anybody that does it. and i selective harvest mine. and we should accept eachothers decisions. not rip on another.

some sit on the sidlines in these debates. but someone has to be the bad guy and say NO WERE NOT UNSPORTSMANLIKE. were different. lately. thats been me alot. i dont like to be called names for my differences. and strong pride steps in and i speak up.

bottom line is this aint no cpr only site and nothing on any open page should suggest that we all support it. thats gonna draw in folks that think that we all kiss our fish and release them.

we need a firm rule. no bashing anothers ways. you may respectfully disagree. but not use unsportsamn like or river raper ect... it lights the fire. and some cant sit at the red light while they rev up there engine beside us without racing. stop the fire at its heart. not after its out of control.

and any post that openely condones illegal activity or comments like "i cut others lines" should be immed removed. that would be like me posting that i steal tackleboxes and rods from others trucks. alot of these posts exist. and shouldnt IMO. buts thats the staff and pauls decisions. and this is only my thoughts.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i have a hard time respecting others opinions after they have belittled me and my traditions with blatent disreguard to my respect. if the post that lit the fire is allowed to stay. like the cutting lines ones. expect others like and not just me to say well your a criminal. JMO. i think the open debates should be allowed. but a lil stiffer rules on what ya say should maybe be concidered.

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I think Ill just get a headdress on and jump in the river with a spear and get my dinner. Anyone have a problem with that? Seroiusly, do you CPR DEER????
    Hey Bullwinkle, backstrap is kinda thin, see ya next year.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    Cock gun
    Prey aim is true
    Release trigger

:wink:

i got a mouth full fo teeth. and it aint for chewing salads.:smile2:

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    No problem with that here in Arkansas, but if I remember right, the limit on getting fish that way is half the regular limit. Good spearing!

15. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    The Alternative method of fishing to me just meant by another means. Let's face it more people on here are using rod and reels to fish so for all of us that use trotlines, jugs, etc. these are alternative methods. This title did not make my hackles raise for no reason.

A tradition is something that has been handed down from generation to generation. So to fish with rod and reel can be a traditon also.

I sit on both sides of the fence here because I love to rod and reel fish for sport for the big ones but I trotline for my eaters and to stock my freezer for the winter. And that is not to say that I fill up my freezer with fish. We have a small chest type freezer and my wife puts up vegetables and fruits and things from the garden in it as well as I put up fish and deer in it and leave some space for my baits.

I'm not gonna get bent out of shape over the title of Alternative methods. This site was created by catfishermen that were trophy fisherman with rod and reels. So all of us other guys that have shown up since, that use other methods to fish are alternative methods.

It seems that sometimes too many of us have created chips to wear on our shoulders.

I'll admit that there have been some unruly statements and some hot topics that have ruffled feathers on both sides. With a site as large as the BOC has become and with all the different people from all over the world that we have here this will happen from time to time. To have a difference of opinions is one thing but to carry it further and point fingers and call names and such this is just not what the BOC is about. The BOC was put here to educate and for us all to learn from each other. Not to divide and conquer from one method to the next.

I have said before to teach a child you don't grab a child and yell at them, call them stupid, or belittle them in anyway when you are trying to teach them. Are adults really any different. When you have a new person on the job do you yell at them and belittle them to get them to do the job right right away?? No you take them by the hand and mentor them. Lead them and guide them.

Just remember tho. With most fishermen how they fish they have learned since they were children and learned these methods from people that they admire and look up to as mentors and possibly as heroes. Your definatlely not going to change the way they think by belittling them. All your going to do is give yourself a bad rep on the BOC and possibly damage some of what the BOC is all about and make a bad first impression on a new member.

16. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Yeah, it does get old to keep repeating the same defenses over and over. That is why I think it is a great opportunity Capt Paul has given us with the thread I referenced at the start of this thread. He has asked what we don`t like, or specifically how the BOC site can be improved.

If we don`t let the staff know we are here in good numbers, we have kinda only ourselves to blame when the site is geared toward only trophy fishing. :big_smile:

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Time for all the traditionalists to toe the line,Join in on the fall fish off and show us what ya got. The rules have already scared off a few R/R guys .:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2: