Traditional bow shooters?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by bowfoot, Jan 7, 2008.

1. bowfoot

bowfoot New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Are there any long bow or recurve shooters out there ? I'm a collector of old traditional bows and love to shoot them...got, I think 37 recurve and long bows....have shot them all...I enjoy the old ways and take more pride in shooting them old bows, more-so than I would shooting the best of the best compound bows made...I want to make my own bow, knap my own arrowhead out of flint and make the arrow, string and quiver....then take a deer with it...that's my hope for this year....I been taking knapping classes for the last few months...not even good yet, but getting closer...bowfoot

2. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I used to hunt with a compound, quit for 20+ yrs, I was given a complete setup a coupla years ago. I shot it 4/5 times, no fun no excitement! :sad2: just point, trip the release and hit the bullseye.
    I picked up a long bow abt 6 mo ago and it just felt good to shoot!
    I'm not good, I don't get to practice much, but iffin a deer really wants to get bowshot (10-15 yds) I'll do it to em!:wink:

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Before I got my compound bow I was thinking of getting a recurve but I didnt know anyone who shot traditional to help me learn so i just got a compound to hunt with. Someday I'll get a recurve and figure it out.

4. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I make and shoot selfbows and have taken several deer with them. I also shoot recurves and longbows of which I have several. I just finished a selfbow for an eight year old. I have to make another for his older brother. I have a sinew and rawhide backed bow in the works for a seventy two year old. You can see people of all ages enjoy them.

5. bowfoot

bowfoot New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    There is a traditional bow club near where I live in Tn....they are called "OLD FARTS AND OTHER SORE LOSSERS-TRADITIOAL BOW SHOOTERS CLUB"...if you think that with the sound of their clubs name that they have a lot of fun...you're right...they have fun shoot several times a year and I've shot a couple of times with them...it's a lot of fun...one of the targets is set up where you have to pull on a rope, which pulls open a outhouse door...sitting inside the outhouse ...on the pot, reading a paper and wearing a set of glasses, is a black bear shaped foam target...as you hold the rope in your left hand, along with the bow, you come to full draw and let go of the rope and the door of the outhouse starts to close...you have to aim and let the arrow fly and try to hit the target bear inside the outhouse before the door of the outhouse closes....other targets are a steel groundhog with a foam chest...you hit the steel part and your arrow blows up into many pieces...hog targets on ropes where you pull them uphill and then let them go and they slide down that rope and you shoot at them as they go by...makes a great moving target shot...something that is almost immpossible to do with a compound...on some shots you got to lay down and shoot or bend over and shoot which can't be done with compounds...maybe there is a traditional bow club around you somewhere...they'll be glad to teach you how to shoot one ...bowfoot

6. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    Can I shoot four wheelers that get in my way?:roll_eyes:
    I'd be like cannon, I'd only shoot the tires!
    :smile2:

7. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    for those who didn't see cannon, (tv show) he could shoot out a tire on a moving car at 75-100 yds with a detective special (2in barrell)
    NEVER missed or needed a second shot! (every show too!)
    :big_smile:
    He was/is my hero!!!

8. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    good luck on makin your stuff,thats the way to go. :big_smile: :cool2:

9. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I shot compounds for 30 years, then tore my shoulder up about 5 years ago and had to hang the bow up. This last year I was ready to get back into bow hunting and was looking for a new bow. Everything had got so high tech and complected, not to mention expensive it just turned me off. I'm shoot'n a Bear Montana long bow , 50#, bare bow and I love it. It took about a month of shooting every other day or so for about 30 minutes to an hour at a time before it clicked. I've also got into make'n bows, I've made and broke 6 so far, but I'm get'n better, the last one lasted about 2 months and 100's of shots.

10. smokeeater3302

smokeeater3302 New Member

State:
    il
    I have only hunted with a compund for about 4 years till then anything that i killed was with a recurve. I was lucky to have a Shakespere Acadia when I was a kid and there were alot of animals that wished i wouldnt have had it