Tracking Hogs

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by Poppa, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I don't have the expirence tracking hogs some of you have had but from what
    I have seen as a rule hogs don't leave a good blood trail. I have killed or
    helped track maybe a dozen hogs. Only 2 out of those 12 (both heart shots)
    one with a bow and one with muzzle loader left what I call a good blood
    trail. I have seen seen hogs double lunged with a .44 mag. pistol and on
    another one a .300 winchester mag. rifle that left little or no blood. They
    didn't go far but they left no sign of being hit. I think it is very important
    to watch and listen after a shot to have something to go on. Tracking a hog
    is sometimes like looking for easter eggs. Do you all have this problem?
    Is this normal with hogs? Is it because of the thick plates on their shoulders?

2. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I hit a hog that was about 120-150lbs with a Remington 58 caliber solid slug. I hit it in the chest on the right chest. The slug exited the left stomach area right in front of the ham. That pig flipped over on it's back and rolled over and ran about 50yds and there was almost ZERO blood on the ground anywhere.
    The only one I have gotten that I could trail by the blood trail was shot into the left side of the neck and out the right side of the neck. That one did not even bleed like you think it would have but it left an easily followed trail. Hit a deer the same way that hog was hit and you would have been slipping on the blood while following it.

3. chuck7700

chuck7700 New Member

State:
    Coppell, TX.
    I shoot em right in the ear or just back of it. They don't run away. It drops them like a rock.

4. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    Tracking hogs is a dangerous task. They tell me they do not bleed much because the fat seals the wound off. Personally, I go about fifty or sixty yards if I have not found it, I stop looking. I have had a couple run in with wild hogs and I do not want any more

5. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Chuck,
    I agree the ear shot is the best.

6. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Pigs don't bleed well because of the thick fat and hide toward the front.On big hogs it can be 4-6 inches thick. I have had really good blood trails with steel force serrated edge 4 blade broadheads the hole will stay open and they will bleed. The key is a sharp 3 or 4 blade fixed head that blows a good hole through the lungs. I killed 12 one spring with the bow and the steel force head with no problems tracking. The best place to shoot them with a gun is in the head in the ear or just behind the ear. The eye or between the eyes about an inch up is good to. of course when you shoot them with a high powered rifle in the head the other side is missing anyway. I have killed 3 of them while squirrel hunting with a .22 long rifle and dropped them in their tracks with the ear shot.

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I heard this too on hogs. I never have hunted them yet, but would like too. This reminds me of the time I shot a doe with my bow. The arrow passed through both lungs and there was no blood trail. The doe reacted like nothing happened and proceeded to eat for about a minute or so after the shot. Then she trotted off and dropped dead around 70 yds. away. Thank God I saw where she went and when I found her she had bleed internally and there was minimal blood on the ground. Bears have a tendency of leaving minimal blood trails to. Always use a large diameter cuttting broadhead for hunting bears. The thick fat can seal off the wound and leave the tracker with a minimal or no blood-trail.

8. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    When you are hunting hogs a good rule of thumb to follow is if you are shooting them with a firearm you should place the bullet in the ear or directly behind the ear. That will get you a hog that is DRT.

Now when you are bow hunting hogs the best advice I can give you is as long as you hit the heart or take out both lungs you need to wait and listen for the animal to expire. All the hogs I have taken with the bow on a good shot will make that "death gasp" as they expire. And some will also do the dirt dance which is pretty loud. Usually you can find them fairly quickly by checking the area that you heard them last.

Between the heavy fat layer and there tough skin it makes for a tough order to get a good blood trail from a hog. Again this is just my experience.

:0a26:

9. Whistling Dixie

Whistling Dixie New Member

State:
    Texas
    The plates as you refer to them are what we call shields. It's a very hard material, not really fat like it's more like teflon sheet on really big boars. I have shot several that were double lunged and the blood trails can be minimal. I cannot agree more with the ear shot, I killed one over 400 pounds with a 243 a few years back. In fact every hog I've killed in the last three years has been shot through the ear hole. I don't particularly enjoy the pucker factor of following up big hogs in thick cover, I'll do it but a good time is not had by all.

10. jodster

jodster New Member

State:
    texas
    So much for the sayings.

Bleed like a stuck pig! And Sweating like a pig!

Pigs don't sweat either.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have destroyed a hog's vitals and had maybe 5 drops of blood. then when i found them they bleed like crazy out of the nose and mouth, but after they die and right where they fall. it doesn't help a lick while you track. in the woods you have to be real aware of disturbed leaves, cause you won't find much blood. don't be in a hurry following a wounded hog eaither. give them time to die. they usually hole up in some nasty cover too, all the more reason to be really proficient with the sidearm you carry for backup. everything on a hog is tough. the hide, the shield, even the guts. try using the livers for cat bait. it will hold a hook better than even beef liver, and it's big! the ear shot is the way to fly, but if you must shoot them in the chest, remember their vitals are lower and forward in the ribcage than a deer's. if you hit a pig behind the shoulder, more often than not he's gutshot and you won't find him. my rule is usually headshots unless they are running, and hit them with all you have as long as they are in sight! they aren't the grizzly bears you hear about, but shot placement is more critical than anything else i have ever hunted.