TPWD Public Comment Meeting 2/22/02

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by strider, Feb 23, 2006.

1. strider

strider New Member

State:
    Bruceville-Eddy, Texas
    Attended the TPWD public comment meeting at the Corps HQ on Lake Belton last night. The TPWD reps nearly outnumbered the public attendees! There were 2 wardens, their regional director, 1 inland fisheries rep and a wildlife rep there. I went to oppose the bowfishing for catfish proposal and I was outnumbered 5 to 1!

The meeting was well organized and all attendees presented their views in respectful manner (maybe because there were 2 wardens there with guns!). The bowfishermen used an effective arguement for their cause that recreational trotlining and commercial fishing for catfish was responsible for population depletions (if indeed there was a depletion). When I asked the fisheries rep if there was data to support allowing any new methods to take fish he told us that TPWD has virtually NO data on catfish, and so it would be impossible to know how any new method would effect the fishery.

These same bowfishermen attended the Hayes County meeting the night before at Cabelas in Buda and I learned from the moderator that they had been outnumbered there.

I and the bowfishermen quickly found common ground on two issues: reduction of trotlining and protection of the alligator gar. One suggested a 1 fish/day bag limit. Another one said that was too much. They complained that commercial fishing was also responsible for AG population depletion.

If I learned anything from this meeting it was this: that "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". The reason anything is the way it is is because of public action or inaction. If we want anything changed we need to petition the commission. Talking to a game warden won't do it. Calling your congressman won't do it. Writing letters to the editor won't do it. TPWD officials are begging for public involvement. More later....

K.N. Hunter (strider)

2. okeycatfish

okeycatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    I agree, more folks should attend those meetings.

I know how effective it is with LCRA around Lake Buchanan, LBJ, and Marble Falls. Those that own property around the lake have a powerful group for their cause, it works.

We almost lost a Burnet County public boat ramp to LCRA executives that wanted to do a 30 year lease to investors with large high end house boats and floating barges.
    Three meetings with about 300 people showed up and LCRA back off.

Thank for the report, I will submit a letter to the TPW folks.

Greg

3. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Well I'm sure we will hear from Sully now........

4. strider

strider New Member

State:
    Bruceville-Eddy, Texas
    I had the opportunity to speak with the captain of the game wardens in our area (he is in charge of 7 game wardens). He told me that if bowfishermen weren't any better at shooting fish than they were at shooting deer then catfish were safe!

We also had a discussion about trotlines. He told me how his wardens spent an inordinate amount of time removing illegal (many abandoned) trotlines. I asked if the current trotline laws were unenforceable and he immediately told me about the Falls County warden busting two guys Monday night setting out an unmarked trotline in the Brazos River in Falls County. Neither one of them had a fishing license either (can you say "confiscation"?)I think the wardens work hard to prevent poaching by all methods but they are spread too thin. We individual Texas sportsmen can help them, ourselves and our resources by calling 1-800-792-GAME or logging on to http://www.ogttx.com/. to report poaching. I carry my mobile phone with me when I go fishing for just such an occasion.

Thank you guys for the reputation posts. I really like this site and continue to learn from you BOC brothers.

5. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Tawakoni is down very low right now, and ya can see just bo-kos of abandoned t. lines. I wounder if it's legal to remove these our selfs. I'm not wanting to remove lines that ya know someone is running, I'm talking about ones that are up in trees now that the water is almost 9 ft. low.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I stopped wondering about removing illegal lines, whether unmarked or out of date. If its abandoned, and you can assume an unmarked or out of date line is abandoned, its anybody's line that wants it. You are doing yourself, other fishermen, and boaters a favor removing those lines. When I used to wade fish, I'd run into lines every once in a while and got a few scrapes from old hooks. The do a nice number on props too.