Toy's, gotta have toy's! Part 1

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Kutter, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    These are my new toy's for this years rifle season.

Part 1 is my ground blind and UV/LED headlamp. The Strongbuilt ground blind is actually designed for waterfowlers, but most deer hunting blinds are designed way too big with bowhunters in mind. I have been looking for several years for what I wanted, I think I have found it in this blind. The headlamp is more of a whim. I want to find out for myself how UV helps or not in tracking blood. I have heard both "it works great!" to "totally useless!". Now I'll find out for myself.

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    These are more of my new toy's.

The doe decoy may help get big boy into range with a little help from Tink's #69 and a little doe bleet calling. The turkey decoys, both the regular and the "bob-in head" hen decoys, are hopefully going to make big boy feel safe coming out into the field before dark to get to doe decoy.

3. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Man Im jealous can I come over and play sometime. THose are some great new toys.

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    The next 3 items are just little add ons I wanted.

One is a scent pouch to hold my scents that hopefully will keep them from smelling the truck up, LOL.
    The gut hooks will fit my razor knife, just an idea I want to try.
    I wanted to get rid of the "can" I use for squirting powder into the air to test wind currents, so the last pic is a different approach.

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    The last one is my new custom knife from Dunn's Custom Knife Works in Kansas.

Not a very good Pic, but any bigger would not download. You can see it better on their website, if you want. It's the Pelter knife.
    http://www.dunnknives.com/prod04.htm

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I thought the lottery rolled over with no winner,guess I heard wrong.

Nice looking "toys" you got.I ain't envious :cursing:

Now lets see a big boy posted up soon.Good luck!!

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    If stock in Cabela's was on the market, I might be able to get some of my money back. LOL Why do you think I was working all this overtime for? :D

8. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    looks like cabelas has a new spokesman...lol.....john

9. roofermike

roofermike New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Kutter your super gutkbife hookblade thingamagigs are actually hook blades used by shinglers. You can get them at any hardware store 5 for $2.

10. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Yep, your right. I saw them the other day in a industrial catalog. Exact same thing, with a different name. LOL

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Have you invested in one of these yet?? LMAO hehehehe

(If everyone only knew Kutter)

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Some nice items. I have a few of them. Have the DUNN knife and the UV head light. The knife it want hold an edge worth poo at least for me. The light though man oh man it's great for night fishing on the river. It makes your line light up all pretty. I have tried it with fish blood on my clothes and in my boat it don't work at all. I read some place that it helps though if you have the red? or maybe it was orange glasses like you see on the T.V. show CSI. That is suppose to make the blood look pretty. Well so I heard at least.

13. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO

Hey, I aint the one who raised the Carlyle Lake water levels, last year at the Gathering. LOL

Besides, there are very few who would admit to knowing me

14. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Crazy, from what I can figure out, the light will work with blood, but not in the way one might expect. The light makes the blood look black, with or without the orange tinted glasses. Thats all fine an good, except when would I be using this light to find deer blood? At night of course! With so many shadows in the woods/leaves, black does'nt exactly show up as a contrasting color. I'll try in under actual conditions, in a few weeks, and report back on the light as well as the other "toys"

On the Dunn knife. Dull? First off, by using V60 steel, it shouldn't dull very easily. I have touched mine up a bit since I got it, but it didn't need much. It's a very hard steel and requires quite a bit of work to shapen it. From my point of view, thats a good thing. As a general rule, the harder to sharpen, the long it stays sharp. I did a lot of research before buying and I am pleased with what I got. Remember, there is no perfect knife. Only trade-offs on what means the most to YOU. A razor sharp knife will dull too easily, for one. I, personally would rather have one that holds a good edge a very long time.