toyoyta 4runner need help.

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by jasonminitruck, Nov 29, 2008.

1. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I have a 93 toyota 4runner, and the transmission wont shift into overdrive if it is cold, but when it warms up it shifts fine. Does anyone have a clue what could cause this. The filter and fluid have just been replaced yesterday, and did not help with the problem.

2. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    im not sure if they have a lock out for when it is cold but some do, they delay it to help get the engine to operating temps sooner on some vehicles, other than that ? could be a lot of different problems, check your owners manual or call a dealer on the operation

3. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Many vehicles do that to help emissions...The wifes 95 corolla does the same thing and so does a friends toyota..Don't sweat it...

I change the trans fluid every other oil change , through the drain plug and it takes 3 quarts and i use mobil synthetics in all my vehicles with no ill effects

4. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    I had a RAV 4 that did the same thing... I think it's what they do.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I have a chevy Blazer that was doing that. Tranny lasted about another 8 months and just quit. Atleast quit enough where the only way to get it home was in 4x4. Broke reverse , 1st, and overdrive.
    New transmission has no problem going into overdrive.

It doesnt mean it was the cause of the failure.
    There is servos in play too. Way it was explained to me is they can rapid fire pushing into and out of overdrive real fast. Fast enough that it is never engaging in overdrive. I'm no tranny mechanic but that's what I got out of the conversation . I may be using incorrect terminilogy. Eventually after driving 2 miles or so it would just "fall" into overdrive. As time went on it would take longer and longer for that "fall" to happen.

I would talk to someone at the dealership to see if its supposed to be doing what it is doing. If it's not then you might catch it early enough to save some money instead of having to buy a bunch of gears and parts to replace what you broke.