Toyota help

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by shadguts, Mar 7, 2009.

1. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    O.K. I need a little help here. I purchased a used 82 Toyota 4x4 a year or so ago. The truck has the 22r and a 4 speed. When I bought the truck it was evidently having charging problems. Someone rigged up a switch to the alternator to make it charge. At some point it quit working. I haven't left the house with the truck since buying it. Other than to pull the neighbors truck out of a ditch and the short trip to the store. The alternator and regulator were new. The guy I bought the truck from said he put the alternator and regulator on the truck after it quit charging but it still wouldn't charge on its own so a freind installed the switch. I took the alternator off and carried it to AutoZone and it checked bad. It was a lifetime warranty so they replaced it. Here is my question to you all. What could cause the charging system to stop working in the first place? What should I look for before trying the new alternator. There are no shorts that I can tell. I don't see any sort of fusible link or fuse that is or could have went bad. Maybe one of you have had a similar problem.

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    look at next post lol typed wrong :roll_eyes: by me

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I think you anserwed your question bad alternator :wink: If that was bad = no charge to battery=dead battery and might as well change the cabel's also just cause they look good that is a old truck am sure there is alot of acid corrioson inside those cable's

4. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    you also need to clean all the grounds on the engine and on the body, bad grounds will cause circuits to overheat and burn out at weakest link, can cook an alternator this way, im not sure on an 82 but my brothers 80 had an external regulator and it wasnt grounded, it didnt charge at all, on some newer cars they lose ground and charge at full, just check em all and clean and tighten them

5. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i have to agree with smokey grounds are often overlooked

6. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    since he had it charging with a switch it could be the ignition switch