Toy Wooden Trains

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by TeamWhiskers, Oct 5, 2006.

1. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have been making variations of these trains for years for the kids for Christmas. Some just to give out playing Santa and some to sell for fund raisers for various groups that I belong to. It is that time of year once again to start thinking about making them..

Attached Files:

2. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here are the rest of them..

Attached Files:

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Great lookin trains, I bet the kids just love them!

The nice things about these trains is the simplicity. Very simple and plain. Allows the kids mind to work by imagining extra features. Also keeps the toy safer!!!

Great Job!!!

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great work, Vince... I'm sure there are a lot of folks that get enjoyment from your work...:cool2:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    There is endless merit in a man's knowing when to have done. ~~Berliot.

5. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Nice work.... Man do them things bring back memories.... We used to play with them for hours on end..... This was pre X-Box/Playstation days.... Back when all you had was some scrap wood and a imagination.....

6. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Vince, you are not only a great craftsman, but a kind hearted man, and we appreciate you my friend. The children who recieve your special gifts are indeed blessed. I have found that children will enjoy hand made toys by far more than the store bought ones. I threw a couple of wooden toys together hurriedly, unlike all the time you put in yours, and our grandsons still play with them and cherish them.

Thank you for all you do and thank you for sharing with us.

7. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I posted these in hopes that a few of us could carry on the tradition for the ones that like to work with wood as Christmas is just around the corner. The wheels are made with a 2 inch hole saw and a 3/8 inch hole. You can use your router to put the edges on them or just round them off with a belt sander.
    These are 2 ½ inches wide and normally works better to split a 2 x 6 and then cut to the 2 ½ inches for a sharp edge with your table saw to lengths of 4 foot. The 13/32 holes are best to be done on a drill press in the cars.
    Once you get the system figured out using a power miter box, you can cut out a dozen in no time. It is much easier to just cut out a dozen than to do a few. I even figured out a cost sheet as they cost just under a 1.50 to make if done in bulk.
    Sorry these blue prints did not come out all that well. But they will give you all a good idea of the basic dimensions..

Attached Files:

• EB.jpg
      EB.jpg
      File size:
      33.2 KB
      Views:
    • CB.jpg
      CB.jpg
      File size:
      34.6 KB
      Views:
  8. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The other blue prints.. Since I can only load up 2 at a time.. Good luck you all and also remember.. Take a Kid fishing.. The Memories will last a Lifetime!

Attached Files:

• TB.jpg
      TB.jpg
      File size:
      51.6 KB
      Views:
    • CoalB.jpg
      CoalB.jpg
      File size:
      31.2 KB
      Views:
  9. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Vince, thank you for sharing your blueprints with us, that is very helpful and we really appreciate it my friend. I may just give it a try at making a few for our grandkids.