Town lake Austin??

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by Texas.410, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Texas.410

Texas.410 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Anyone fished it. It would be so easy for me to catfish there. From the TPWL site they say the catfishing there is poor. But I have hurd storys of big cats in there. I hurd that they hang under Congres street bridge. Where alot of young bats fall in the water. From where they are roosting under the bridge.

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    You can't launch a gas operated boat on the lake, so kayaks, canoes, and electric powered boats are the only options other than bank fishing.

3. HappyDudeSr

HappyDudeSr New Member

State:
    Texas
    I would not eat the fish from town lake in austin, due to the pollution

4. Cat Hunter

Cat Hunter New Member

State:
    texas
    I lived down there for awhile and never really heard about any big fish coming out of the lake. Right now I think it is closed do to all the flooding. One thing I do remember if I am remembering correct the state record redear sunfish came out of that lake. There was a picture of it in the paper it was huge.

5. Longhorns

Longhorns New Member

State:
    Texas
    I kayak fish Town Lake and have had no success with catfish there. Baited several holes which soured maize, put out jugs. Nada.

6. Texas.410

Texas.410 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I guess it is bad for catfish.

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    There are no advisories for eating fish from Town Lake. There used to be one issued by the county health department because of possible chlordane contamination from past use for termite treatment, but its been lifted for at least 20 years. The bass in the lake are fat, sassy, and numerous.

Its also a great lake for carp fishing if into that sort of thing. Carp anglers come from Europe and other places just to fish for carp. Last year, a national carp tournabment with a $500,000 prize was held.

8. HappyDudeSr

HappyDudeSr New Member

State:
    Texas
    I used to live in Austin a few years ago, and I thought I saw a sign on the bank saying not to eat the fish caught there. I could be mistaken, my memory ain't what it used to be. LoL!! I am probably mistaken and shouldn't have posted a negative comment like that without verification.

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Well, I was wrong about when the advisory was lifted and the Texas Department of Health had issued one also. Here's the statement about it being lifted:

http://www.tdh.state.tx.us/news/b_new297.htm

On thing for sure, eat enough Chlordane and not termites or other bugs will infest your digestive tract.:smile2:

10. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    yeah i heard about the carp tournament, the state record common carp was also caught there... but whatd you say about the bass? someone said they was big and there was alot of em

11. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    in the 50"s my uncle used to catch some big cats out of there

12. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    My Wife's cousin fishes below Town Lake in the Colorado and he loads up on catfish. Course its proly couple miles from the dam.

13. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The Austinkayakfishermen site reports good bass fishing on the lake, especially around Redbud Island.