Town Creek Dec. 7

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by FATFLATTIE, Dec 7, 2008.

1. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Well, the river was a little too rough today for the mini jon:smile2: so me and the wife went to Town Creek for about an hour. We ran way down river and found some current and a nice hole. We just fished the one spot and I finally caught a dang catfish out of that place!!!!!!!!! Now I've got some confidence and a place to fish when the wind is too rough for the river. I think the key is getting way down river where there is sufficient current. I guess we'll see next time, hopefully I'll get a chance soon to fish it for more than about hour.

Attached Files:

2. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    It's alwasy cool when a new spot, or a spot you've never had luck on before produces. Hopefully you'll get a good pattern worked out there...sounds like a sweet back-up spot.

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I had fished there probably 4 or 5 times without a fish so it was getting pretty frustrating. I know they're in there, I've seen people catch them, seen them on bush hooks, and a guy brought a 59lb flathead into the fish house that he'd caught in Town Creek. Up until yesterday the only catfish I'd caught were two blues that I caught one day on a crankbait while I was bass fishing:smile2:

4. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I bet that had to through you off a bit when you saw that cat on your crankbait. I don't recall ever catching any cats on artificials before. I've caught cats on everything else....minnows, cutbait, crawlers, liver, leaches, crayfish, sunfish, catapillars, grubs....like I said, you name it....but never artificial. Boy a 59lbs. flathead sure would be a "decent" catch now wouldn't it?

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yeah, it was a nice little surprise:wink: The second one was about 8lbs and he knocked the crap out of it. I thought I had a monster bass! I've caught a few cats on lures mostly on worms. My buddy Britton caught a 26lb flathead on a worm in one of our night tournaments this summer, I know that was a fight on a bass rod:smile2:

That 59lber was the most beautiful flathead I've ever see, really light brown in color, nice and fat, not a scratch on it. Just a really pretty fish, I've never seen one like it come out of any other body of water around here.

6. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'd bet that was a wicked fight on bass gear. I got one that went 22lbs. on my Intercoastal Uglystick with 17# test on it the same night I got my 48 pounder. I didn't think that fish was ever coming up...the moon broke the treeline just after I hooked him and the brightness on the surface would spook him and make him take off for the eteranl abyss...or so it felt anyway!

Have you seen any of those flatheads that are so light that they are almost yellow all around? Not like the albinos, but really sandy wash yellow? I've seen pictures of some from the midwest that are just crazy looking.

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Some of the ones that we get out of the river are really yellow. That one out of Town Creek was really light colored, sandy colored. It was kind of an odd color to come out of that tanic water.

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats brother, I have been fighting the wind like crazy with no success

9. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That is a bit odd...however, if you look at some tanic creeks, they're actually very clear, just stained water and a good sandy or clean bottom could be the reason for the lighter coloration...just a hypothosis, as I've never seen the creek.

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Well, I went back out yesterday and evidently 1 fish a pattern does not make. Found some good holes and log jams way down river and just couldn't get bit to save our life. I got one little nibble in the second spot. Oh well, guess I'm just gonna have to stay at home when the river's too rough to fish:roll_eyes:

11. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Have you tried anything differently than you do in the main river, or just sticking to old strategies? I don't see where that would make a HUGE amount of difference...but sometimes fish don't want in a creek what they want in a river.