Tower on a Catfish Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by SkipEye, Mar 8, 2009.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Never did like the looks of standard bimini's, kind of a horse and buggy carriage look. Not to mention all of the scissor legs coming down and getting in the way.

Got to thinking and looking around a bit and decided to go with an off the wall modification.

Still not done but will post pics as I go.

Ever seen a tower on a Catfish Boat?...... me neither. Well you will now.:smile2:

Searched the Wakeboard Tower aftermarket offerings, found a nice universal tower and also a cool Bimini top that will attach to the tower (no legs coming down getting in the way.

This of course leads to more mods (still in progress).

Yet to come:

• Bimini Attachment (it is assembled already)
    • LED floodlight Bar suspended from tower to light rod rack
    • custom stainless steel rod rack each side of tower
    • stainless steel trumpet horn suspended from tower
    • 100 psi 'misting system' using bimini frame with misting nozzles in frame to keep things cool in the summer
    • stereo installed
    • Radar Antenna:smile2: (just kidding)
    Here are the tower parts as shipped:

[​IMG]

Bimini parts as shipped:

[​IMG]

Bimini assembled:

[​IMG]

2. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    The tower is assembled and installed on the boat. Used solid Aluminum nut inserts in 3/8-16 attached into the gunnel. ROCK SOLID!

Lots to do yet but here is where it's at so far: (will update as i make progress)

Tower installed
    [​IMG]

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Sweet, Can't wait to see it on the boat!

There I go!!:smile2:

4. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Only one thing missing so far. Where are the girls at? The picture you posted a couple of weeks ago had women in bathing suits. :smile2: Just wandering the final cost. Let us know when you get it done.

5. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Look's good skip ..There's some LARGE striper boat's out here like that with pole holder's on the top rack and out the side ...

6. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

I said rod rack on the sides but i really meant rod holders for when I am running the river. The rod rack I have on the back of the boat is where I'll fish from.

Can't wait to get the bimini on and the light bar fabbed up. etc.......time to start fishing.

I'll have a little over 6 ft of headroom to walk under the bimini but not enough room anymore to use the vertical rod holders I have now.

Bimini is removable with 4 quick release doo-dads and will make the trip on the highway in the back of my truck under the tonneau cover when I bring it along.

7. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Too bad that's a side console, you could have just gone with a t-top style if it were center console( ive seen some that collapse in the front when you are crossing under bridges) so there wouldnt be anything in the way if you were casting from the side of the boat...very nice design btw should keep you & yours comfortable in the heat of the day while fishing..

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Center console in the middle of the country with a T-Top and used to fish off of?
    Who you trying to kid?:smile2:

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That's a cool project, Skip! Lookin' good!

Bill in SC

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I am curious what you are going to use it for. :eek:oooh:

I assume you are not hanging speakers off it like a wake boarder...LOL! :smile2:

11. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    :roll_eyes: All stated in the first post. To hang a bimini on that does not get in the way, and does not look like a horse and buggy carriage top and has a solid frame to allow me to install a custom "misting system" and does not look like crap. To hang an LED Light bar on to shine my rod rack for night fishing. etc

No speakers hanging........ If no one 'gets it'........sorry.:tounge_out:

Guess I'd get rave reviews if I bolted together some contraption with $12.00 worth of pressure treated lumber!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Now you're talking Skip :smile2:

13. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'll bite and say that you might have gotten better reviews from making something out of the lumber since treated lumber is a bit easier to lay hands on than $100 bills for most people:wink:

I enjoy what you do with your projects since the end result is probably better than what you could have ordered as a factory option from SeaArk. No corners are cut and materials and workmanship are top-notch.:big_smile: The misting system is going to be sweet and I can't wait to see it.

I'm a bit different in that my materials are what I can get cheap and can work into something functional and not completely ugly - the fun for me is taking a pile of scrapyard aluminum or some lights on clearance and making something I can use.

It's just a difference in style, that's all. I'm like 90% of people and fine with "good enough" for the right price and you're willing to put in the time, effort, and resources to get perfect and not put up with "good enough". :wink:

14. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Very cool Darryl, nice work man. :cool2:
    Now bailing wire a couple out riggers on it....

15. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
  16. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    lol thay did a good job making that wood rack i will givem creadit for that but im sorry that looks like Chit stuck on that boat

17. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Darryl I like the pics, I can't wait to see it at night with the Led's on it. Now like you said it is not to hard to do a full enclosure on it. Keep the pics coming.

18. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
  19. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    What, no keg holder?

20. Katmandeux