Tow Vehicle

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by JUG_LINE, Sep 1, 2009.

1. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
    I am thinking about buying a Dodge 2500 crew cab. I am kicking around a cummings deisel really hard. Does anyone have any advice on what to look for in a good used cummings (dodge) deisel truck. I have been trying to see what the average repair or maintenance schedule is but I haven't seen anything reliable on the deisel sites. I dont want a hot rod just a reliable truck.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Dont know anything about cummins,But with my ford F250 powerstroke,every oil change sets me back 100.00 and change.:wink: Plus parts are twice the price of a gas burner if you need em,Only part I have put on my 01 is a starter,which gave out just after factory warrenty,starter worked fine,bendix quit. no after mkt bendix ,new starter was 500.00.:sad2:

3. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    What year is it and how many miles are on it? let me know and i can help ya out a little better.:cool2:

4. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
    I don't have one picked out yet but thinking 04 to 07 its hard to find an older one with reasonable miles.

5. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
    I have heard some of these deisel engines last a long time if cared for. But like you said the parts are high if you need them. Thats why I am curious to what a fellow should expect in terms of repairs. Oil changes that power stroke probably holds 16 or 17 quarts of oil, I can see it costing a hundred what type of oil do you run in it?

6. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    the cummins is a great motor that can last a long time but if parts go out on them it can get expensive. oil capacity is 3 gallons, I always use shell rotella t synthetic in my diesels its about 17 a gallon. check over the front end real good thier front end parts always seem to be going and there know for eating tires. also dodge doesnt build the best automatic tranny so that may be something you want to stay away from.

7. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    iN

8. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    JugLine:

I bought a 99 2500 4X4 5.9 Diesel before we moved to Alaska and it is the Best Truck I have ever Owned. It had 100,065 Miles on it and is a Manual Trans. It has A backseat with not a Great amount of legroom and 4 doors (Not a Crewcab) I love it. Towed a Pretty Heavy 16 foot Trailer up here when we moved and was getting 15 to 17 MPG all the way and Rarely had to shift out of 5th Gear. It's a 5 Speed Tranny.

My Two Cents:

Gene

9. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Parts are more expensive, but if taken care of can last a really long time. I am thinking of getting one myself. I don't know if I want to go with the F250 or D2500.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Rodney,I used phillips HD II for years,switched to Rotella as shell is not available here any more. It holds 15 quarts.,However you go,If you don't pull heavy loads regularly,I'd go with a 1/2 ton gas rig,unless you need the added hauling capabilities.

11. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Rodney

Cant miss with the Cummins. I am in Fleet Maimtenace and have run the Cummins, Ford and Chevrolet diesels so I have a little background in it. Two things to keep in mind on the diesels is emissions. If you are wanting used I would look for something pre 2007 emissions. The pre 07 units do not have a DFP filter just a catalytic converter What does that tell you? Less $ should something go wrong and better MPG. All 2007 and later models have them so brand does not matter. If I were to target a used Dodge with a Cummins it would be and 04,05,06 truck with the 48RE auto trans. The older 47 RE is ok but does not like being whipped on. If you find a truck with a aftermarket programer I would stay away from it. You will know you have the newer trans if you look at the valve cover on the left front side and see a HP of 325. I have a 2005 with the 48 RE and have beat it like a hammer since it was new. Real fuel mileage if I set the cruise is 19.0 @70 MPH with no trailer and 80 pounds of air in the tires. I do run an Edge EZ aftermarket programer always set to low. More info than you wanted? :eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

12. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    cummins 5.9 was/is a great motor. It holds about 13 quarts of oil. This motor is known to go many hundreds of thousands of miles.

Dependant on year, the auto tranny was a little suspect. The heavy engine tends to wear parts a little quicker than a gas motor, but you gotta pay to play.

If i remember right, there were certain years they had trouble with fuel pumps (not sure if it was injector or lift pump). One pump would get weak which would take out the other pump.

13. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj

those were the 99-02 i think. the lift pump would get weak then cause the injector pump to go then your wallet gets a whole lot lighter :crazy: lol. on those its recommended getting an aftermarket fuel system and a fuel pressure gauge

14. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you will add a fuel pressure gage then you will know when the lift pump is going down so that in itself will save you several dollars.

Boys I am predjuce to the cummins. I have a 1993 5.9 and it has 282000 on the clock and still uses no oil. A life time of rottela. I have set the pump up a little but by no means raw hide her. She gets me 17 mpg towing my 27 foot TT and I average 23 mpg empty. I would no be scared to leave with her right now and head any where.
    Matter of a fact we are heading out in jan. and gonna put another 10000 on her before I return home. I have the get rag 360 5 speed.

15. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Some of the late 2003 had a 305hp 505 torque rating on the engine ID and came with the 48RE tranny. The programers that adjust the injection timming aren't all that bad, it's the ones that adjust fuel rail pressure that are known to cause injectors to crack esp. on 04.5 and up.I have an 03 and run a Bully Dog set on Extreme all the time and my EGTs never hit 1250 deg. I love it! (The tranny did have to be built to handle it!)