tourny livewell?

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by nevets91, Oct 18, 2009.

1. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    looking for some ideas for a tournament livewell for my 16 foot jon boat i dont have very much space so im havin trouble coming up with anything that would hold any big fish. so any help would be great thanks

2. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    This is the style of net I used for tourny fishing before....http://www.memphisnet.net/category/nets_hoop_minicatfish

There is companys that have larger hoop nets.... These are pretty good you don't have to hold all that water on your boat with it soaking you when running down river.... When I use to fish King Kat I used these and when I landed a large fish that seemed weak I would just go weigh it in since the scales are open all day.... Hope this helps ya...

3. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I use a Packer 60 truck tool box,I think there are some pics of it in the library.

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I use a large rubbermaid tub , the ones with a lid and sort of latching handles on it, Im not sure how big it is but it will hold probably 65-70 lbs of fish. I got it at Target for like 30 bucks then driled a 1/2 in hole in the end and run my Mr. Bubbles aerator into it with two air stones and it works just fine, even on hot days, I just change the water with a 5 gallon bucket and never had any problems. Cheap, lightweight and easy to clean out when done.

Salmonid

5. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I use a 150 quart cooler, a bildge pump, a spray bar and a 1" over flow. I connect the blidge pump with a valve inline to slow the flow to the spraybar and put the pump in the water. The 1" over flow is hooked to a hose and run out the scupper. I have a constant flow of water and when Im running I put the pump in the cooler to circulate the water. For your situation put the cooler up on the bow and use a hose to let the water run over the side. For some of the tournaments that are 2-3 fish Ive seen some stringer them 1 fish per stringer and let them swim. Just tie them off at differnt pionts on the boat. When ready to move use a tub with water to transport. If you will be at the Carolina Catfish Club tournament Saturday youll see a few ideas there.

6. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    thanks guys i like the idea of having them over the side of the boat and putting them in the boat when making a move. would like a duck decoy bag work good enough? or would it somehow cause damage to the fish? i would think it would cause less damage than a stringer but a may just use a stringer. thanks for the help

7. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    It depends on how long you have the fish "hanging over the side". I used that method years ago, but had too many fish die. Also depends on the water temp. Hot water and long hours are not a good combination.

8. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Im not big on bags, cause it rubs the slime off the fish, and that is sort of like a protective coating. They will die without that slime on them

9. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Fill your boat up with water. :smile2:jk Take a look at Team Fat Cat, he has that jon riged were everything is out of the way. Might take a few bucks.