Tourney fishing

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by CountryHart, Aug 16, 2008.

1. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    First and foremost, don't turn this into an argument please. I've read threads about having a daily length limit on fish, which i fully agree with. I've got good friends here that are also avid tournament fishermen, and i'm just curious how can we have the best of both worlds so to speak. It's not feasible to carry a judge ( official weigh man) in each boat, and i'm curious will it be hold a fish till ya get a bigger one or what? I don't think regs concerning length limits will ever fly if tourney anglers are given the chance to keep more than Joe Shmo out here juggin, lineing or whatever his choice of fishing may be. Like i said please don't turn this into a fight, i'm just curious how this shall be addressed. All comments welcome, as long as there civil.:wink:

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    In North Carolina, we have two lakes that have a length limit (32"). So we (tournament directors) went from a five fish limit to a two fish limit for the two lakes with a length limit. Most tournament boat have a large holding tank with oxygen and fresh water circulating in them. If you catch two fish over 32", you hold them in your tank and if you catch a larger one, you release one of the previous fish that you were holding in the tank. You never have more than two fish over 32" in the boat. Our current fishing reg's. for the two lakes requires this. It does not matter what type of method you use to catch the fish, the law is the same.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thank you Mac for clarifying this. It seems like the only logical choice there is . Reps to ya and thank you sir.

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Just curious, but does anybody think there's an appetite for setting livewell standards for tournaments? I know the vast majority of tourneys are live-weigh only and some are even going to a no-stringer rule. But I'm wondering if at some point since these fish are so much bigger than other tourney fish if at some point there will be a minimum gallon/recirc rate requirement in place for livewells? Several big cats need a lot more water, space, and O2 than your average stringer of ba$$ or walleye......

Nothing elaborate, but at least a removable stock tank that can be aerated. I know it would cause hardship for smaller boats in tourneys, but I think it would go a long way into showing that the tourneys are concerned with promoting catfishing and conservation and help dispel any perceptions that they might be more about egos and money. Just a thought.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    An ample live well should be of primary concern.:cool2:

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Length limits and total fish limits will be a good start in conservation. Someone needs to take the bull by the horns.

7. dennis boehm

dennis boehm Member

State:
    olathe kan
    I am a tournament fisherman, most tournaments I fish in have a limit of 5 fish far fewer than your jug/ line or rod limit. most guys have large stock tanks or livewells built in. my boat has a10 and 50 gallon tank built in and I also have a removable 90 gallon tank with 2 750 gpm aereators, never had any problem keeping fish alive.I do not fish for ego or money but to compare my skills with other and to improve my fishing skills. also most tournaments have a lagre tank a the weigh in site so if someone catchs a large fish you can bring it in early and have it weiged with out stressing the fish a minimum.guess bottom line is if your going to tournament fish or recreation fish for large fish have a (safe) way to try and keep them alive

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Sorry, didn't meant to offend, I didn't say that's why people fished tourneys, I said that perception could be out there. Sounds like you've got a miniature sea-world going in the boat, the fish are probably happier there than in the river:big_smile:

9. dennis boehm

dennis boehm Member

State:
    olathe kan
    none taken. most of the time the fish are really pissed that there in the tank

10. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Sometimes its (my apostrophe key is broken):smile2: harder to get them out of an oxygen filled tank than it was to get them into the boat in the first place! A little time in a good livewell seems to put them into hyper-active mode.

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I like to tourny fish and for the most part people are very careful with the fish they catch due to weigh in requirements. Some fish do suffer death however and there is not much you can do about it. I have a 60 gallon tank that is aerated well, but sometimes it just happens. What really bothers me is that most tournaments will not allow you to put that fish on ice to bring it home to eat. Such a waste!

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I think that the tournaments will just have to adapt to whatever the regs are. If there is a limit of one fish over 32' for example, then folks will just have to go for one big fish and 4 smaller ones in a 5 fish tournament. I'm sure a few folks would grumble, but what's new about that :smile2: I think a lot of us would welcome the change in favor of conservation and better fishing in general.

It’s difficult, for example different types of recirculators and pumps work differently in how they aerate the water. Flow rates mean very little when comparing different technologies. If a reasonable standard could be devised, I’d be all for it. But from the little I’ve seen, livewell mortality and stress are pretty low. I expect that more fish are harmed by all of the handling than are harmed by inadequate livewells.

Egos – That would be a tough one to dispel, lol
    Money – Look no further than the payouts, cost, and results. A good fisherman at best can hope to recoup some of his costs, most will not even do that. And if someone who fishes tournaments claims it’s for the money, see the part about “egos”
    Promoting and Conservation – maybe, but I think in most cases it’s just an excuse to do something fun.

Dennis is one of the good guys, I’ve seen him partner up with his 6lb Yorkshire Terrier and still win the tournament, and then credit the dog.

I can’t disagree with what Big George says here. The devil is in the details of how you mandate a standard.

13. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    That dog doesn't even know what a fishing rod is. I have seen him drive the boat though...:smile2:

14. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Great points and info. This has been handled much better than expected. I would have never given this thread 2 days before it went HI!