Tournament Payout!!!

Discussion in 'TOURNAMENT TALK' started by Harley8876, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Harley8876

Harley8876 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    This question may have been asked already, but does anyone believe that catfish tournaments will increase their payouts? The reason I ask is I just got into catfishing, after switching from bass fishing and even the small regional tournaments payout quite a bit of money if not a new boat. Cabelas King Kat look to pay only $3500 for first place. Now don't get me wrong I know Catfishing tournaments are gaining popularity and it's not quite up to bass fishing popularity yet, but do you ever think it will be where people who are fishing as catfish pro's can truly make a good living doing it?

2. Harley8876

Harley8876 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    77 looks without a single reply! Am I wrong for asking this question? Bassmaster, FLW, National walleye tour all pay really well, just wondering if people think catfish tournaments will make their way in that direction?

3. Scott C.

Scott C. Member

State:
    NKY
    Sadly I think not.

Bass fishing is a multi billion dollar industry. Catfishing is not. Simple as that - follow the money.

Just try and break even and enjoy the ride!

4. Riverguy85

Riverguy85 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
  5. grassrat

grassrat Member

State:
    NC
  6. IllinoisMatt

IllinoisMatt Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Matt
    Lots of money spent on lures means more money for tourneys and advertisement.

7. Kittentickler

Kittentickler Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yep without all the sponsors the money will never be close. Tv is the biggest reason. Not enough stuff to buy to catfish to bring that level of sponsorship.

Michael price likes this.
  8. Michael price

Michael price New Member

Name:
    michael price
    As a tournament promoter I don' see the big dollars in catfish tournament' as you do for bass tournament' the simple reason being as stated above about the tackle not many lures being used to catch catfish.
    On the other hand I feel this is a good thing because with the big $$$ comes cry babies and bad attitudes which I have a low tolerance for . My #1 rule is to always have fun . The catfish community is one of the best out there in the way of sportsmanship and I personally would like to see it stay that way.

Jollymon, ramon06 and green_neo like this.
  9. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    I don't know if catfishing will ever become what bass fishing is. It has been my observation though that money makes folks become intrusive, secretive (unless they have reached a point they can sell their secretes), possessive of locations, and overall just less friendly. Seen it in bass fishing, coon hunting, deer hunting, even what used to be the laid back sport of squirrel hunting with dogs. Time will tell.

Jollymon and ramon06 like this.