Tournament livewell

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by whiskers9512, May 17, 2007.

1. whiskers9512

whiskers9512 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I was just wandering what u guys use for a live well in tournys, the one on my 2070 lowe isnt very big. Dont know how well it would work? thanks!

2. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    I use a 120 gallon cattle trough. I think Rubbermade also has some good options. Simply hook an aerator to a hose, stick the hose in the lake, and have the other end feeding into the livewell. It feeds into a line that has a valve to control how much is feeding out. Install another hose about 5 inches from the top to drain and you're done. Mine has a cutout piece of plywood for a top. Cheap and simple.

We have had 5 fish that weigh over 30 pounds each in there at once. Also, I fish some 2 day Tournaments, so they are in there a long time sometimes. Our fish are ALWAYS so lively when we weigh in it is literally embarrassing trying to wrestle them out of there into a wheel barrow. They jerk and thrash so violently it is impossible to get them out with first draining ALL of the water out.

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    some of the guys in my chapter use cattle trough I started using a deep truck tool box and it will handle 3 50lb blues ok

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I just use the one that is built into the boat. It is 67 gal. and long enough for the next world record blue. It would hold hold 3 60 + pounders ok probably. The thing is water displacment then. Not many boats have long live wells. I'm just lucky I guess to have one that has a big one built in.

5. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I use a 100 gallon rubbermaid stock tank.

6. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thats it I need a bigger boat! I use a 135 gal cooler, I think the fish are afraid of my livewell.

7. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    i use a 100 galllon tank that you can get from TSC. it comes with only an 8 or 10 inch lid on it so i cut it out and ordered a 16 in lid and put on it. a 60lbr will fit in there easy with a bunch on others. i use a rule 1100 gph bilge pump to run my aeration system that is hooked up to a toggle switch so i can turn it on and off when i need to. i have about 225 bucks in it and it is lil cheaper than buying a truck box and you dont have to worry about the water splashing out of it.
    if i get time ill try to post a pic of it

8. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    here are some pics. i made a drain hole at the bottom you can see in one of the pics. i have another cheapo bilge pump i got off ebay for around five bucks that i use to fill it up and drain it with. hope these help.

Attached Files:

9. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I dont have a livewell...I just through them over the side of the boat in a fish bag...I have got one I could fit in! Big fish seem to stay alive alot better in there own habitat!

10. kimmysan0

kimmysan0 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    Whiskers, I use the 120 gal cattle trough myself and I have it in a 2070 cc triton. Another consideration is placement. You want that tank as center as possible. I have had some scary moments when large traffic came by with whitecapping wakes. A little ingenious plumbing and some cut-off valves, you can make a bilge an aerator/recirculator and a pump out. My water intake is from my boats factory livewell. The boats factory livewell was completely useless. I have had 5 fish/190lbs in my homemade livewell during a tourny and had no problems.....except fishing second