Tournament fishing

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by eflow, May 1, 2006.

1. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Just wanted to see if anyone had opinions on fishing tournaments. Here my question: If you were going to fish in a catfish tournament at Carlyle Lake and the rules said you could fish on the lake or below the dam what would you do? You need 5 fish do you go for the big one or look for consistency? Just wanted to see how everyone would handle this.

2. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Justin, trying to get some info for the carlyle tourney? Man that would be a tough question. Below the dam you could get into a big flattie or something, but above if you drift the lake or fish the tressles you could prolly come in with a limit of channels. That would be interesting. Maybe try both since its a long night tourney. That one should be a good time, I hope I can make it.

3. Rivercat2

Rivercat2 New Member

State:
    Morton,Illinois
    I have never fished that lake before but I would try to get a nice limt of channels first than find the big fish.

4. buzz crackstock

buzz crackstock New Member

State:
    Springfield, IL
    My brother and I are going camping this weekend but are not sure where to go. We don't have a boat and would like to go somewhere that we can camp close to the water and have a chance at catching some nice cats. Any suggestions. We live in Litchfield whick is about half way between springfield and St louis on I-55.

5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Whenever I fish tournements (almost weekly through the summer) i ALWAYS go for 5 fish first. I've seen tournaments where 7 pounds wins it. try to get 5 small channels in 1/3 the time of the tournament (so 2 hours in a 6 hour tournament) and then head hunt. that's my method anyways

6. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    It would depend on the normal limit caught there. The catching success. Past tournament information would be good information. Try to get up there and spend some time scouting both spots. It would be hard to say what to do unless i spend some time on the water...........:cool2: