Toughest?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CatfishHntr, May 20, 2008.

1. CatfishHntr

CatfishHntr New Member

State:
    Texas
    Monofilament Fishing Line? I Personally have been use'n Berkley BG 25# for Year's now. Was Fishing this weekend, Soaking some Bait's! Was tossing a Crankbait that got Hung Up:angry:. Had P-Line Evolution 12# on this Reel. Dam! This is some Tough @$$ Line. Did everything too get my Lure Back. But, Pull out the Tillman's! Got my Lure Back and Bout 10#'s of Tree:eek:oooh: My Oldest Brother is the one that got me Lookin into this P-Line. Only Line he will Use:confused2: Gonna Try Out this P-line on my Catfish Heaver's

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Im sure you will get different answers to this one because everyone has there favorite,but i like mono myself.

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Mono is the best!

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Try ANDE mono.

Braid gets snagged up too much.

5. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    Trilene's big game salt water line works for me rick:smile2:

6. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    I have seen lots of these discussions on various boards over the years. The toughest mono that I have been able to get conclusive research on is PLine CXXX Strong. But that doesn't mean it is the best line for all situations (I only use it on baitcasting reels as I like a limper line on my spinning reels). It has a higher break strength than other monos of the same diameter. Another important factor to consider is the remaining break strength of a section of line after it has already been stretched to failure. We all break lines from time to time and it's important to know that not all lines retain their strength after being stretched to failure. I have done a ton of research on mono's and have seen detailed reports of different lines. I don't have time now, but maybe I can put the data together for everyone to review at another time.

My vote is PLine CXXX Strong for baitcasting reels & Suffix Elite for spinning reels due to it's limp nature. Unfortunately, I think they only make Suffix Elite up to 20 pound test.

More info to come later. . . .

7. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    You could say that I’ve been down this road before (mono comparisons).

I used maxima and Berkley Trilene XL for a long long long time (not anymore). Below is a ton of information about fishing lines. Of course, the information below is just my opinion and is based on the link at the end of this post. Hopefully the admin will allow the link to stay up as it is a wealth of valuable information.

I'm confident that one of the best lines to put on my spinning reels is a product called Sufix Elite due to the fact that it is more supple (limp) than other brands, yet it still retains a break strength near the top of the charts. As anyone can relate, a stiff line on spinning reels results in lots of coils which makes it hard to cast. A soft limp line on spinning reels is ideal.
    It's also clear to me that P-Line Xtra is a line to use on my baitcasting reels. Stren Xtra Strong comes in a close second in the line reviews.
    The good news here is that I started using Sufix Elite about 18 months ago. I liked it so much for my spinning reels that I bought a 3000 yard bulk spool for Christmas 2007. Note: Stay away from Sufix Seige (it's rated poorly). Make sure you get Sufix Elite for spinning reel applications if you are going to try the Sufix brand.

I took a couple of charts from the link at the end of this post from VHawk and combined them together for a clearer look at line characteristics. All lines tested were packaged as 10lb test.

The columns represent:

Line Brand / Avg Break Strength / Avg Fatigue Strength / Stated Diameter / Actual Diameter
    Brand.....................Avg Break...Avg Fatigue..Stated Diameter...Actual Diameter
    P Line CFX Fluro .........10.7 lbs......9.0 lbs............ None............ .012
    P Line Floroclear .........11.6 lbs....11.5 lbs............ None............. .011
    P Line Xtra.................17.3 lbs.....17.1 lbs........... None............. .014*
    P Line standard...........8.1 lbs........6.8 lbs............ .011............. .011
    Sufix Seige.................10 lbs........8.6 lbs............ .012.............. .012
    Sufix Elite..................13.5 lbs.....11.3 lbs........... .012.............. .012
    Maxima HiVis..............13 lbs........11.0 lbs........... .012............. .014*
    Maxima Chameleon......14 lbs.........7.9 lbs............ .012............. .014*
    Maxima Ultragreen......13.7 lbs.......9.0 lbs............ .012............. .014*
    Trilene.....................9.6 lbs.........7.0 lbs............ .011............. .011
    Trilene XT................10 lbs...........8.0 lbs............ .011............ .011
    Trilene Big Game HiVis.13.6 lbs......10.3 lbs............ .011............ .0135*
    Vanish Fluorocarbon....9.6 lbs........5.6 lbs............ .011............. .011
    Stren xtra strong.......14 lbs........12.7 lbs............ .013............. .012
    Stren Magnathin........9.7 lbs.........7.7 lbs............ .010............. .010
    Yozuri hybrid clear....11.5 lbs.......10.2 lbs............ .012............. .012

It's interesting to see the different line diameters. Most 10lb mono's measure out around .012 diameter. You'll notice in the above chart that some 10lb mono's had a larger diameter (.014*). Also, some lines had poor Average Fatigue Strength (A.F.S) in relation to diameter. A.F.S represents what the line will break at after it has been previously stretched to failure. There are seven products that have an A.F.S with a rating above the stated 10lb line rating. Take note of their actual diameters.

All mono's will get stretched at some point or another (big fish, snags, etc.). This makes it especially important to focus on the Average Fatigue column in relation to the Actual Diameter column for each line. The P Line floroclear had good numbers, but as most anglers realize, flurocarbon lines are a little stiffer than equilivant mono's of the same diameter.

I would be interested to see abrasion resistance tests for these lines. . .
    As far as Maxima goes, it did ok in the tests. It's average break strength is good. However, the author of the tables (VHawk) states an interesting point in his discusions . . . : "And finally, as evidenced by the fact that there was such a wide variance among lines, which were all marketed as "10 pound test", it was not surprising that some lines were as much as 19% thicker than the stated diameter. Maxima lines, although comparing well if one looked only at avg breaking strength, dropped down in the ratings because the actual measured diameters ran 0.014 rather than the 0.012 which was listed. If one were to look for other brands at the diameter of 0.014, we'd be testing 12 or 14 pound lines."

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/...bb/showflat/Number/336481/page/1/nt/8/fpart/1

8. CatfishHntr

CatfishHntr New Member

State:
    Texas
    KnotGillty! Yes! Ton's of good info! I Know where you coming! I Have Tried every Line Out there. Berkley, Suffix, P-Line my Top Three:cool2:

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Hey guys what about the cajun red line i love the 20# test.Any info on it would be appreciated.By the way great posts ive been looking for something about lines so thanks guys great job.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chris I'm a berkley man myself, but have used P-line . Its a good line and will get the job done. I have found the larger pound test to be quite stiff and lots of memory.

11. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    I LIKE MY MONO, IT SEEMS TO BE THE CHEAPEST ALSO. I HAVE STARTED USING THAT RED CAJUN LINE 25 LB AND I ACTUALLY LOVE THIS STUFF. I HAVE HORSED FISH IN FROM2 LB TO 20 POUNDS AND NO PROBLEMS. DONT GET HUNG UP THOUGH BECAUSE IT IS TOUGH TO BREAK!! MIGHT AS WELL GET THE OL TRUSTY KNIFE OUT OF THE FRONT LEFT POCKET:big_smile::tounge_out: