Tough Stik

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by whisker maniac, Aug 28, 2009.

1. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I recently had the pleasure of getting my hands on a 9' 2 piece rod called a tough stik by the Cherokee Rod Company.

I fished with this rod recently at our WDM Gathering here on the Arkansas River. I fished strictly from the bank either below the dam or downstream from the dam in heavy current.

I put a Shakespeare Tidewater 30LA reel on it and put on 80# test braid line on it. I also overloaded the rod too much with weight as I was fishing in heavy current but also wanted to see if the rod could handle it.

Like I had mentioned before this rod is a 9' 2 piece rod. It has eight stainless steel guides on it plus the tip. The top end of the rod is very sensitive and fast action which I'm not accustomed to but enjoyed as I could feel every little bump through it, whether it be a rock, limb, or a light bite.

The rod is rated for 1 to 4 oz weights but I used 12 oz weights on it plus my bait. I was surprised and pleased as it still did pretty good but could also tell it would have done really well with lighter weights. But, like I previously stated I was out to abuse the rod and see if it would hold up. In my opinion bank fishing on the rocks in heavy current is much tougher on a rod than fishing from a boat so I thought this would be an excellent test for this rod and I feel like it passed with flying colors.

Although I would recommend this rod for more of a boat rod or a rod for less current, when fishing from the bank, than I was fishing that day I feel like this rod is very well built and strong enough to handle any size fish.

I would like to thank the Cherokee Rod Company for building such an excellent rod.

Attached Files:

2. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    In the last shot you can see the foot of the eye threw the wrap. Are they all like that?

3. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    It's simply the SS bleeding through the blue thread, no biggie and you can see how deep the finish penetrated through the whole wrap.

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    some twines that are used in tying on guides are very thin but at the same time are very very strong. With the thin twines that are used it is possible to see thru them and see the foot of the guide. This in no way takes away from the strength of the guide or the wrap in question. I repair/replace guides on rods myself by hand and have even done it with clear mono. Looks a little odd being able to see thru it to the foot of the guide but does not give anything up in strength.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kevin thanks for sharing your rod review. Sounds like a good set up.

6. SW Hunter

SW Hunter New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Kevin im sure glad you liked the 9ft ToughStick its my favorite rod for Catfishing and Snagging and in swift water!! These rods are in my opinion the Best of The Best!!! You also sould get your hands on the 10ft rod. My buddies and I have put them through alot. I can tell you they will not let you down and will land anything that swims!! Thanks for the Great report on the ToughStick Rods by Cherokee Rod Company!!!!