Tough meat

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by trad_archer, Oct 12, 2005.

1. trad_archer

trad_archer New Member

State:
    Cook Springs, AL
    Hello all, I have a friend who has a large lake and he wants the cats out of it. Went yesterday evening and caught two channels in the 10-12lb. range. Cleaned and fried some last night and the meat was real tough; almost chewy! Well i just got done eating some that i grilled and it was the same way. Last night i thought i had the oil too hot but today i checked the meat and removed it from the grill as soon as it wasnt pink so i know it wasnt overcooked. It has the texture of a rock lobster tail for those who eat lobster. Not flakey at all, almost have to cut it with a knife. Anyone else have this problem? Is it large channels, cause i eat blues this big all the time and they dont do that. Thanx.....shane

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Shane I would not know man never had one turn out like that before

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    me neither gator. only turns out tough for me if way thin and overcooed. if ya are sure it wasn't over cooked im stumped. likey my catfish. making jerky from cats this fri.

4. trad_archer

trad_archer New Member

State:
    Cook Springs, AL
    Pretty sure it wasnt overcooked. I caught 4 more yesterday afternoon, 3went to my big fish pond and one i gave to a neighbor to eat. We will see what he says. Thanks....shane

5. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    I've ran on to a pond with spring feed hard water an heavy moss that the fish in it are tough.
    The best thing I have found is to soak them in salt water over night an freeze them in a fresh batch of salt water the next day.
    When it comes time to cook them thaw them rinse then soak them for a couple hours in ice water.
    Some people soak them in a mild solution of fresh water an lime or lemon juice.The salt lime or lemon juice has a tendence to soften the tissuse.
    Loop

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Fish that aren't prime candidates for frying, baking, or broiling are often good for making fish jerky. Regardless of whether the fillet is tender or tough, you're going to make tough-textured jerky from it. And almost all of the taste will come from the marinade you use.

7. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    Shane,
    I have run into this problem before. I fish the Mississippi South of Hannibal. The last time I fried fish, I made sure all chunks were about the same size, grease temp was 350 and fried for 3 minutes (or until floating). Most of it turned out perfect, but some pieces had more of a chicken texture. We had just caught 9 flatties, two blues and two channel. I was told by a guy that sometimes the blue and channel will have a tougher texture. I had never heard this before, but something made them tough!! Also, I have found that soaking in saltwater too long can make the meat mushy!!! Anyway, I would like to hear some other opinions on this.

8. crazy_crappie88

crazy_crappie88 New Member

State:
    Huntsville,Al
    Yeah sometimes as they get older their meat gets a little tough.I cant stand eating tough cat meat.Hope i helped.