Tough lesson

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Bill in SC, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Congratulations to Captain Tommy and crew of Georgetown Coastal Adventures for their win in the first Peedeecatmaster tourney this year at Winyah Bay. We started out in fine weather, on a gorgeous day. By 10 oclock, James was calling to say Captain Tommy was already culling fish, and we hadn't had a bite yet. :embarassed: James also said at that time that another team, his nephews, had one over 40#, etc etc! With sinking hearts, yet undaunted, Team hardcore fished on. Finally, BAREFOOTFISHN put a 17 pounder in the boat for us, not much, but a start. About that time, another rod slammed down. I grabbed it and a HUGE fish was coming good, and suddenly the line went slack. The hook just came loose. This was a RARE occurance with the Gamakatsu octopus circles we use, but it HAD to happen during a tourney!! :sad2: We fished on, and I landed a 23 pound blue. Here's where the tough lesson came into play. I hooked into a monster. I fought the fish and had it coming good. I felt the fish hitting structure around the bridge pilings where we were fishing. I battled him for a good long while, UNTIL my leader broke at the snell knot. :sad2::sad2::sad2:. Now, I've been TOLD by many great knowledgable catfishermen, including James and Roundhill, to change my leader material from monofilament to fluorocarbon, for more durability. Being slack like I tend to be sometime, I was trying to nurse the last roll of 50# monofilament leader material until it was gone. Certainly a tough lesson on tournament day, but I have always learned things the hard way! At the weigh in, it turned out that the 40# fish James had called to tell us about was actually 29#!!! :wink: Total weight for the victorious team was but 51#!! We only missed the big fish by 6# and were only back 9# for overall weight, still only good enough for THIRD place. Had we landed ONE of the fish we lost, we would have had the victory. Folks, when knowledgable people give you tips, UNTILZE THEM! Though humble in defeat, I put all the blame of our loss on myself. Maybe I take this fishin stuff too seriously, but I am HIGHLY COMPETITIVE, and second or third is just the first losers in my book!! :wink::smile2::wink: In conclusion I will say that rest assured, we will be back with a vengeance, and I will be PROPERLY EQUIPPED to go to war in the next tourney! :eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:
    Special thanks to blackwaterkatz for graciuosly sharing a fresh hickory shad for us to use as bait. All our hits came on the shad, and none on our frozen mullet. A great time was had by all, and we look forward to many more exciting days on the water. Thanks to everyone who came out!

Bill in SC

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That's a very good recap, Bill. Thanks for posting, and my congratulations to Captain Tommy Scarborough's team and all the others who participated. Pee Dee Catmasters puts on a pretty decent tournament, and I enjoy fishing them. Was glad to see FishfinderSC was able to make this one. He'd never fished at all on the Waccamaw River, and he did much better than I did on my first February trip there several years ago.
    I had about 33#'s of fish by my scales, but since it wouldn't have been in the payoff, I decided not to lug them to the scales. Lots of fish located, with plenty of bites, 9 total boated, but I just couldn't seem to find the big fish. I caught most on cut fresh hickory shad, a couple on fresh threadfin shad, and nothing at all on cut eel. I also managed to break off a couple of nice fish in some submerged stumps in 18' of water. Water temps were 45-46 deg., light southwest wind most of the day on a falling tide.

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks to everyone that came out and fished. There is a full run down of the tournamnet results on the PDC board.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    James, thanks for putting on a good tournament.

5. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Thanks Bill for a great report with drama and a lesson! :eek:oooh: That's definant Pulitzer material there my friend. You are right that the best lessons learned seem to come at great cost, I guess that's what makes them so easy to remember, they hurt!! You had fun, you caught fish and learned ya something!:wink:

Go Hardcore!!!:roll_eyes:

6. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    thanks for the lesson, we all wish sometime or another, we wouldnt have had to learn something told to us previosly the hard way. But those are lesson that build charactor and we never forget

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    After reading James', full rundown on the peedeecatmaster section, I see that I had a few of my figures wrong, but the lesson still stands. I finally got calmed down about lunch yesterday! :smile2::smile2::smile2:

BB in SC

8. CatfishWormKy

CatfishWormKy New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds like you all had a great time and tournament.

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the tip brother.