Tough fishing the last 2 days!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by SkipEye, Sep 13, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Fished pretty hard the last 2 days and man, NOTHING was working. One dink yesterday and El Skunko today. Ran into several Boccers while fishing also and every report I got was pretty dismal. Honeyholes no good even.

Throw some theorys out there as to why the Blues have gotten lockjaw.

I even took vacation.:sad2:

Then I donated ANOTHER ANCHOR to Davy Jones Locker.:angry::angry:

River-Rat was along today and even he couldn't pull it. Tied it on the cleat and pushed with the boat at full throttle and couldn't budge it at all. Finally had to cut the rope.

So..... hit me with the theorys (barometric pressure, fish gods, cold front, falling river, Moon phase) etc..........

2. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    when that river starts falling I never do any good. love to fish it on a slow rise

3. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    If the infamous River Rat couldn't pull up that anchor, it was defenitely hung!! I don't know about the past couple of days, but this whole year for me has been tough.:angry: I haven't been out since last weekend, because I'm trying to sell the boat, but the water is still dropping fast here. That could be the only reason I know of. What are the water temps now? I'm sure they've dropped a few degrees since last weekend. It's been cold enough over night the past few days that I've been able to see my breath. I probably won't get back out there though, until we get a good gloomy overcast day. Seems like that makes all the difference. Give it some time, them fish should be getting ready to go on a heck of a feeding frenzy with fall setting in!:wink:

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Bummer to hear about the cruddy fishing Darryl. Looks like I picked a good week to work. Very quick river level draw down is my best guess for a dismal bite. Thrown in Blue Bird skies and the fish hang in the cover like a bug on my jet doing 600 miles an hour. :wink:

When the river is like this, I will fish only at night. The fish tend to move around a little bit more and you "rarely" get skunked at night time.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your own post for the poor fishing.

River level dropping, bluebird skies, stabile barometer, and calm winds. YUCK. WE NEED A KUTTER CANE. :smile2:

That will fix the bite. I'm starting to root for Kutters rain producing powers on a regular basis. Of course, not everyone likes to fish in overcast skies, Thunderstorms and rainshowers but I sure do.

Well find em soon. :wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:

5. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I was at Alton today also. I got there a little before daylight. Caught 2 blues about 6 lbs each. Didnt catch another fish till around 12 or maybe even a little after. It only went about 3 lbs. I caught them all on shad. I fished all the way down to the confluence. Places I have caught fish before with no luck. Who knows. It will straighten out one of these days. I was showing 77 degrees water temp.

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I'm thinking Sunday and Monday might be FINE days to be on the river. :boss::0a19::0a19:

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    MO river is done dropping, will have been stable for a couple of days by Friday. Supposed to be cool and cloudy with a front moving in on Saturday. I'll post up on the poundage Sunday morning when I get back, if my arms aren't too tired from reeling in fish to type. Oh, yeah, sorry to hear about the slow bite, Darryl...:wink:

Seriously though, that does blow, especially when you took vacation to fish. River'll level off and you'll be slaying 'em next weekend.

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    ol Branden is out to top that youngsters new personal best. :smile2::smile2::smile2: You NEED a 73 pounder to regain your status in the BKS domicile. :smile2:

9. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    hate fast falling water, i try night time. but if i do fish in the day with the falling water i go off the flats close to the mane channel, down here that could be 25 to 40 feet deep. it seems the fish will head for the channel untill the drop starts to so down. fishing will be great soon the fall feed will be on . cant wait.. good luck

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I agree with Rusty. Concentrate on the Channel ledges on a draw down. Any of the wing dykes that go out to the channel ledge, especially on the river bends, CAN be productive.

11. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I just want to say thanks to Darryl for taking me out there today, not only did we get skunked at his honey hole, we got skunked at mine as well!:confused2::confused2:

About the only winner today was the river, not only did Davy Jones claim Darryl's anchor, it also claimed my work cell phone! Whoops, sorry Boss :big_smile::roll_eyes::eek:oooh::tounge_out:

I'm going to try again Saturday near the arch and around the STL, maybe I can redeem my self respect! :smile2::cool2:

Thanks again Darryl,

12. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Hey RAT. HaHa, forgot about your cell phone. That was a bit worse than the anchor I suppose. Good to meet you and thanks for fishing with me today.

I know where your honey-hole is but you also know where mine is. LOL Fair Trade....... both apparently great spots.

Hey, we'll slay 'em next time..........or maybe the time after that.......or sometime.:smile2:

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hey Rat, One might want to fish a few miles up from the arch at the entrance to the Chain Of Rocks Diversion Canal. There just happens to be 55 feet of water in the channel there. One Might find some fish starting at the wing dyke right at the entrance to the canal, and concentrating on the channel ledge back down the river for the next 500 yards or so. :wink:

14. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    You guys *were* fishing, right?? 'Cause if not, that's just TMI... :eek:oooh:

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    LMAO!!!!!!! Good one T. That's pretty funny. Did I just say that. uh, sorry, Darryl, sorry rat. :wink:

Yo T, did you know that this Rat feller is 6'3, 352 pounds, and has NO body fat. (not exagerating about his height and weight either) :smile2:

16. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Oh Marty, you silly goose! You're more than welcome to come out with us next time D-Boy and I head to the river!:wink:

17. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

18. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    with a fast falling river the fish will pull back in to the channels and sit and wait for bait to come to them catfish do no like to get trapped the minute they feel the water levels start to drop they pull back into the middle of the river now they can be caught you just have to put the bait in there face

19. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I was out with Darryl Wednesday.... we weren't to far from there for a while. We tried the dikes at the entrance to the canal on the main river. No luck of course. Maybe we should have moved over a few hundred yards. :roll_eyes:

20. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    I fished the same two days, but in the evening. Darryl and River-Rat.....it was finally good to meet you.

We only had one slam to show for our efforts Wednesday night -- missed it. Last night was a different story. With Asian carp in hand we managed one 7 lber in the first 10 minutes, but had 5 other "mega" slams that did not hook in our next four hours of fishing in 40-50 feet of water in three different locations. For the life of me, I have no idea what was wrong. The rods were plainly doubled over in the rod holder losing line -- and when we got to them, the fish were gone. These weren't the normal "tap, taps". These were bonifide slams. In fact, we never had one "tap tap", which I can't say has happened before. Regardless, it was sure exciting as I'm usually happy to see a take down just once or twice an evening. I guess I'm getting desperate.

9/0 circle hooks and 8 inches of asian fillet was the combination. We make sure there is plenty of hook exposed, so I'm a bit perplexed.