Tough day on Lake Greenwood

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Deepwater1, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    Had a really tough day on Greenwood yesterday. Put in at about 3:30 AM at the Hwy 221 ramp. Though we might pick up a flattie or two. Not to be.

Fished from the railway tressel up north all the way to the dam down south. We used live bullheads (4" to about 8" size), shrimp, live and cut white perch and bream for bait.

We fished from about 7' to as deep as about 23' to 24'. Total end result: one channel cat about a pound and one BASS about 6-1/2 lbs (caught it at launch ramp), plus a mess of white perch, we kept around 60 (at least we had somthing to clean and eat). Decided that we had had all the abuse we could take around 3 pm and called it a day. Couldn't ask for better weather.

We marked a lot of good structure and a bunch of catfish, but somthing was/is going on and they seemed to have lockjaw. We could count on one hand the number of catfish bites we got.

Perhaps some of our member has some better results to post from yesterday.

Curt :sad2: :confused2:

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Curt, between the shrimp and perch you should have gotten into a lot more of those Greenwood channels! Were you drifting or anchored?

3. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    Pat, we were anchoring. Left the drift rods at home. It was just the toughest fishing I had seen on Greenwood. All the spots that had been producing over the last couple weeks were just plumb stone cold DEAD.

Definately not the typical Greenwood. We were hoping that the fingerling bullheads would bring out some flathead action....NADA. Kind of day you just shake your head and put behind you.

Only good thing was, I got a chance to fish with my younger brother, that I hadn't fished with in over 25 years. That made it a WONDERFUL day.

Curt

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Curt, I drift Greenwood 99% of the time, so I can't offer much advice on anchor fishing there. I know that the channels are winding down the spawn on Greenwood, but the last time that I was there ('bout 3 weeks ago) we caught almost 20 (on the lucky scrimps). This time of the year you should focus on mid - upper lake, they're in there somewhere :wink: But I'm sure that you had some fun with the perch, and had a good time with your brother. You'll get'em next time :big_smile: