Tough but fun fishing on Lake Murray

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by steve_b124, Dec 18, 2008.

1. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Had a great time yesterday, but the bite was slow. I managed to catch only 3, a 8 lb channel, a 15 lb blue and an 18 lb blue. The weather was great, 70+ degrees, overcast with variable winds. The wind went from flat to stiff and changing directions, but managable.

The lake was a mess. It was about the color of a dirty copper penny and full of trash and limbs. The water temp was about 55.6 degrees. The level was up a great deal since a couple of weeks ago.

The bait shop at Spinners is only open Friday, Sat and Sun during the winter. I didn't know that till I got there, so I used frozen shad and herring I had left from earlier. Fresh bait might would have helped.

The bite was softer than usual. 2 of the fish I caught hit very easy. I had several light bites that did not take the bait. I downsized my bait to about a 1\3 of gizzard shad to get them to take the bite. I marked a lot of suspended fish and caught the biggest of the day on a down rod set at about 24 feet in 35 feet of water.

The boat worked this time, both foward and reverse. Other than beeing cold natured, everything worked as it should. That in itself made the day go good.

God Bless All,
    Steve

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Steve, at least you are getting out there and catching some fish! Thanks for the report and I am glad the trip was a success.

3. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Nice catch Steve. Glad ya was able to get on the water and enjoy a day of fishing.

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yes, it's great you got out there, and the boat worked good! I hope to fish sunup to sundown Saturday, but may be cutting beans if it dries out any.
    Bill in SC

5. preacherfisherman

preacherfisherman Member

State:
    SC
    Name:
    Tommy
    Glad you had a good day, any day fishing is better than at work:big_smile:

6. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Bill, my wife accuses me of cutting the beans every day.

Preacherfisherman, you are so right about being on the lake better than work. The last 2 weeks have been very rough. We are getting ready for a Christmas shutdown at the plant and there's been a lot going on with the church. I never realized that pastoring could be so hard. I even have late phone calls to help with changing a tire and such. I pastor without salary, but gain blessings that I can not count.

Fishing is my time of solitude. Time spent praying, reflecting, and enjoying the gifts of nature that God has provided. I used to hunt, but a stroke 2 years ago left me with poor balance and I am uncomfortable hunting from a stand, so fishing has become my get away. I hope to get a bigger, deeper boat this spring so that I will feel more secure while on the lake. In the mean-time I will make the most of what I have to work from.

I doubt that I will get to fish until after Christmas, but look foward to the time I can get back out. I hope to get to meet and fish with more of you in the next year. I feel that many of you are already good friends. Those that I have had the pleasure of meeting have proved this out. Pop pop, Pat, Bruce, and Jon, thanks for taking me into your circle of friends. It's an honor to know you. The rest of you, I hope to broaden that circle as soon as possible.

Okay, I admit it, I get soft hearted this time of year.

God Bless All,
    Steve

7. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    GROUP HUG? :eek:oooh:

SMACKDOWN ANYONE?:big_smile::big_smile: