Toting all the gear

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by georgiamike, Dec 8, 2006.

1. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    I started fishing again on a regular basis about 3 months ago and primarly target Cats but my daughter always comes along and she goes after bass and crapie mostly (not sure what she is thinking). Anyhow seems like everytime we go we have more stuff to carry along. Since we dont have a boat, we fish from the bank or from the Lake Lewisville barge. I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone uses to tote around all the gear. I currently have a big hard plastic tool box with detachable compartments on the top and a tray inside the lid. I found that tackle boxes are alot more expensive then tool boxes, I guess someone told the tackle box companies that fishermen had lots of money, they didnt include me in that study lol. We have a folding luggage cart and we strap the ice chest on the bottom, tackle (tool) box on the top and the net behind. We roll everything we need except for the poles. The best part is, my daughter likes to roll the cart for some reason.

2. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Wait, daughter loves to fish and carries the gear? Is she single? lol. If she cleans fish too she is perfect! LOL

Seriously though, when i do bank fish we usually just make 2-3 smaller trips than one big trip. alot easier. We just take poles, tackle box, bait and chairs though, just throw a couple 20oz pops in our pockets.

3. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well she is only 14 so her hand is not being offered out for marriage just yet but she will be a good catch when I allow her to date, I figure 20 is a good age to begin dating :lol: . Yeah when we are not fishing at the barge then it requires a couple of trips to get the chairs and all too.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If I had money to waste, I'd get this:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=52274&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

For now, when I bank fish, its several trips, especially if I bring seven rods like I did last time. I've thought about a wagon, should have bought the one I saw at a thrift store, it had the stake sides and 4 rod holders mounted.

Also, if you've got one, there's always a hand dolly. Bit heavy, but rigged right, it could make short work of carrying things.

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Why so young?:wink: :big_smile:

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    For catfish you don't need anything more than a school back pack. It will carry all the hooks, sinkers, spare line, knife, needle nose pliers, light rope, stringer, rain gear, gloves, cast net, extra socks (you need them if your like me) and still have plenty of room left over for the misc. I even strap a lawn chair to mine. For you daughter... bass fishing.... well, one of those little belly bags should carry all the lures, swivels, worms, hooks and sinkers she will need. So, you figure $20.00 for both items and you have saved a lot of money. LOL. I went so far as to buy a wagon from Ace hardware. $70.00 for it, but it carries all the tackle plus a trolling motor and battery. Gotta admit, if I can't make it in one trip, I have too much.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Like Awshucks said I carry a backpack, I also use a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, makes a good seat when needed.

8. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    What I carry for fishing depends on the time on the water, and directly related to the amount of liguid refreshment that I take along. Usually, if I have to go far, I am limited on what I can carry because I ride my bicycle. I place two poles in a holder attached to the frt axil of the bike, I use velcro to attach them to the handle bars. In my back pack, I have a soft pack container "cat bag" that contains: pliars, hemostat, and all the goodies needed to fish with. I have a mesh laundry bag for the "small cats", and a stringer for bigger ones. I have a old directors chair that someone threw out, and I cut the arms off, and sit sideways on it....All of this stuff is in or on my back pack.... If I hit any soft sand.... stuff happens and I do fall occasionally....could be from the liquid refreshment...

If I plan on staying longer, then it is easy to get there, .... I still use the back pack, and now I can carry the poles, pole holder in one hand, and a six packer ice chest in the other.... occasionally, I have the 12 packer carring rig... if staying longer.... You see, its all in balanceing the wieght. with my gut in the front, I need a back pack to offset this, and the wieght in the left hand is offset by the stuff in the right hand. This system works for me...

bayrunner ray

9. RTB

RTB New Member

State:
    Va
    :cool2: Hey GeorgiaMike.....

It's 16 degrees here in Hopewell, Va. Give me a few hours, and I will show you the "GREATEST" tote system ever. I will take pics here later, and post them for you.

10. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Welcome to the BOC/SOC, Tim. Can't wait to see the pics.

Chilly out huh? 13 here last night.

Take care.
    Cheryl

11. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    Welcome to the BOC.... And whats up with this 16 degree thing? You should be out catching cats???? Allen

12. RTB

RTB New Member

State:
    Va
    Will be 42 at noon....I'll be fishing at that time. Thanks for the welcome.

13. RTB

RTB New Member

State:
    Va
    You are right Allen....I'll be out there at noon....Thanks for the welcome.

14. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Georgiamike
    I am glad I am not the only one that looks like the local homeless person. I also use a fold up cart. "shopping basket" I bought mine new for 18 dollars. at the save a lot food store. and I consider it to be the best investment I have made for fishing, I bolted to pieces of two inch plastic pipe on the front for carrying my pole and net, and on the back I bungy my Lawn chair and in side I cary a Tackle box, pole holder, hammer, and an umbrella if it's going to be a hot day, and small ice chest for drinks an bait. and if I am going to stay all night I take a Coleman Cot, sleeping bag, my lantern and a 4 by 6 rug to spread out on the ground where I am going to be fishing,as that rock road base is kind of hard on an old mans feet and when you fish as much as I do, you may as well be comfortable. all this folds up and fits on a little rack on the back of my jeep and i just bungy it on. And when I am fishing during the day My umbrella fits-in one of the plastic pipes and I just bungy it down to the basket. and when I catch a fish I can stick the handle of my net in one side basket, this holds the fish up off the ground till I get the hook out and the fish on a stringer.

15. RTB

RTB New Member

State:
    Va
    Here are the pics.

Attached Files:

16. RTB

RTB New Member

State:
    Va
    Tried sending you the pics....it says I have to have 10 posts.....

17. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    RTB, thats a cute idea!

18. txkatfish

txkatfish New Member

State:
    Holliday, Texas
    I think thats an excelent idea. I have been brain storming about what i could use to tote my junk and be efficient. good post!!!!:roll_eyes:

19. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Since this thread started, I've been thinking about how I can use my hand truck to carry my gear. Now, I've got some ideas. Just gotta figure out a repair to the flat on one of the tires. Been wondering if that spray tire sealant for flats might work.

20. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

I bet the fix a flat would work. I used to put in my old riding mower tires. Worked pretty well.

Take care.
    Cheryl