Totally Whacked

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Katmandeux, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Last week, I saw 3 bucks. With antlers. In mid-March.

Here's the best part: also last week, I planded about 30 pines that were about 4' tall. Today, I noticed two of them rubbed. Not just a little bit, top-killed.

Fawns are being born, now. This ain't right.:confused2:

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That is wierd,Dave ,keep us posted on how it turns out.

3. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Wow that is strange. We have a very late rut here, well into feb sometimes, maybe even later. I have seen small spotted fawns many times in Oct, Nov...
    But don't think I've ever seen any buck rubbing at this time of year???:confused2:

4. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    In Pa. most of the bucks have dropped their antlers by now, i`ve never heard of anything like that before. Thanks for sharing that info.

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    it aint just you. thursday feb 28th i seen an 8 with nice set and he had both sides still.

a friend of mine came by to pick up his mount yesterday. said he seen one last week with one side still. i figured they be growing back by now. the new racks???:eek:oooh:

6. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Deer have a 200 day gestation and fawns keep their spots for about 90 days. I've seen fawns with spots as late as the first week of November. I've noticed this the last few years. I think deer breed much later than was thought. I always thought most all were bred by mid December. Last antlers I saw around here were shed the first week of March.

7. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    I saw a 6 pt. last wk. that still had both sides here in Ky.

8. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I saw a small buck with both sides still last weekend! Global Warming!:crazy:

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I just took a little walk, and found 2 more pines rubbed pretty good (and picked up my first tick of the season). A friend of mine reported seeing rubs on his property, 25 miles east of here, as well.

The presence of antlers this late is unusual, but not off the scale. Rubbing is something else, altogether.

I've always understood rubbing to be a reproductive/agressive behavior, tied to elevated levels of testosterone...maybe the dropping of antlers is dependent on lowered testosterone. Dunno.

The rut last year was VERY subdued...few scrapes and rubs, not many deer seen, no bucks chasing does. Something has skewed the calander around here...interesting, and puzzling.

10. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That's weird Dave! My buddies trail camera is still getting pics of a nice 8 point not 30 miles from ya.