totally ticked off - I can't fish my waters

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by lonegunman88240, Feb 11, 2006.

1. lonegunman88240

lonegunman88240 New Member

State:
    new mexico
    heard on the radio today that the state found the lake and the river north of the lake has DDT in it and put out a advisery to not fish in these waters. does anybody know about ddt? i know is was outlawed and causes cancer, but will it dissapate after a while and not be a threat? i hope they catch whoever is responsible for this and hang his butt

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    What lake? What River? You don't say and your profile provides us with no clues! LOL!

3. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    From your profile I don't even know what state you are from.

4. 710split

710split New Member

State:
    iowa
    I'm assuming by "don't fish these waters" that it means don't eat the fish? Would it be ok to fish and practice CPR?

5. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I am a pesticide investigator for the State of Kansas. I have bad news. DDT has a 20 YEAR persistancy. It has been banned since the 1970's, but we still work cases on it. Sadly I know of two in the last couple of years. It was once touted for mosquito control and used everywhere including around water. You local dept of health probably samples fish from you area and found high levels. CPR may be the only fishing you do for a very long time. Sediment in the rivers often is the culprit for the toxins. I hope that it isnt found in other areas. I would bet the DDT found was from a much earlier time. We have many rivers here in Kansas that Chlordane has done the same thing too.

6. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    yet another reason to provide profile information:rolleyes:

7. lonegunman88240

State:
    new mexico
    the waters im talking about are brantly damn and the pecos river, in eddie county in southeast new mexico, between carlsbad and artesia nm, the report just said the dammed lake and river north of it, doest say anything about south of it, or the other rivers, the pecos branches off the rio grande, and there are 3 or 4 others that branches off the pecos, the radio said specificly do not eat channel catfish, it didnt say anything about other fish, yet? i searched for a online fish advisery but havent found one yet, maybe not udated yet, coult the ddt spread past the damn and spread into the other rivers? there are other places to fish but with my work schedule i rather spend my time fishing than driving lol, i dont know how the ddt reacts, but seems to me the snow melt and spring stroms would dilute it to non existance, but somethings dont work like that, the next closest lake is 5 hours north of me, alot of drive time to fish for a couple hours

8. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Just because there is an advisor you don't have to stop fishing, just practice catch and release.;)

9. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    that is rough, but is it no fishing period? or can you still practice CPR and not eat the fish

10. lonegunman88240

State:
    new mexico
    i assume you can still fish just not eat, but if that stuff is in the water and you cpr the fish wouldnt it absorb thru your skin and cause potential exposure?

11. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    kspor, Do you have any info on how ddt and chlordane affect the fish and humans? Best I recall, birds that ate the insects killed by ddt laid eggs with shells too thin to survive to hatching. Wasn't that what happened to bald eagles and condors? How was the chemical spread thru the food chain to get to raptors, who normally don't eat insects? If you don't know, can you direct me to where I might get this information? Thanks in advance. Jim

12. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I would imagine that they have the advisory about cats as they spent more time in the sediment. DDT is linked to long term effects. If you are say 60 then perhaps the worry is less. If you are not I think CPR is more advisable. Look up DDT on the web. Nasty little buggger

13. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I would certainly think you could still fish there. Additionally, I don't think just being in contact with the water wouldn't be much of a threat. I think kspor mentioned that the DDT was probably released in the past. In Indiana, the Dept. of Environmental Management conducts contaminants surveys on several rivers each year. The collect tissue samples from fish and then use the results to formulate the State's fish consumption advisories. I think the greatest threat from the DDT would be from eating the fish, not occassional contact with the water.

kspor - does that sound correct?

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't think the guys were being rude about your lack of a profile and I don't want to be rude

BUT

Let me ask you this. Would you walk up to a person you don't know, hiding your face and not even saying your name just start asking questons.

You don't have to worry about the folks here and you can get all the answers you want on this board.

Jump in, the water is great. Have fun and if you profile yourself it lets us feel more comfortable talking with you and more than likely we have members living and fishing the same areas as you that can provide fishing information that will help you catch the great fish. Have a good time.

Danny

15. lonegunman88240

State:
    new mexico
    if your refering to me? i do have a profile or at least did have one i guess i better check it see if its still there, i been a member since way before we went to this forum btw i liked the old forum better more user friendly at least for me it was lol

16. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    This fact sheet answers the most frequently asked health questions about DDT, DDE, and DDD. For more information, you may call the ATSDR Information Center at 1-888-422-8737. This fact sheet is one in a series of summaries about hazardous substances and their health effects. This information is important because this substance may harm you. The effects of exposure to any hazardous substance depend on the dose, the duration, how you are exposed, personal traits and habits, and whether other chemicals are present.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

HIGHLIGHTS: Exposure to DDT, DDE, and DDD occurs mostly from eating foods containing small amounts of these compounds, particularly meat, fish and poultry. High levels of DDT can affect the nervous system causing excitability, tremors and seizures. In women, DDE can cause a reduction in the duration of lactation and an increased chance of having a premature baby. DDT, DDE, and DDD have been found in at least 441 of the 1,613 National Priorities List sites identified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

What is DDT?
    DDT (dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane) is a pesticide once widely used to control insects in agriculture and insects that carry diseases such as malaria. DDT is a white, crystalline solid with no odor or taste. Its use in the U.S. was banned in 1972 because of damage to wildlife, but is still used in some countries.

17. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    patrick thanks for updated profile your almost there brother try and get a mugshot up too. i believe i seen you around on old site too .

18. lonegunman88240

State:
    new mexico
    well im trying to get the pic uploaded maybe i'll get it figured out soon