Total newbie - but hooked...

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by jerryb, Sep 13, 2007.

1. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Okay, here goes.. the first post is always the hardest, I spoze...

Like someone else who's posted here (sorry, don't remember the name), I used to go fishing when I was a kid with my dad... nothing serious, just put a worm on a hook and throw it in... Since then, I pretty much quit fishing for various reasons - time, age setting in, etc...

Couple of weeks ago went up to Lake Huron with my brother-in-law for a week to do some walleye fishing, and it brought back a lot of memories - all good... Even though he does a lot of fishing, I still managed to bring in the biggest walleye at 22" / 4-5lbs, and man, it felt good!!

Since I've been back from that trip I've had the "bug" - bad. Now I'm going to Knox Lake about 2 - 3 times a week, and so far have managed to grab a couple of 14" channels along with a 24" and a 25" (my personal best - I'd post a pic of it but I can't find the USB cable for my camera :embarassed: )...

After reading a bunch of the posts here and watching the videos - I've decided it would scare the bejeezus outta me to snag onto some of the fish ya'll have caught!

Of course, being the noob that I am, I've got the obligatory stupid questions to ask, so please bear with me...

- Is there really any rhyme or reason to when channels feed? The 24" and 25" channels I caught were in the middle of the afternoon, in sunshine. Yet, I've gone at night, in the evening, in the morning, and gotten zip - 'cept for the li'l ones...
    - I've been using nightcrawlers on the bottom in about 5 feet of water (or less - it's shallow where I have access)... also used some stinkbait I picked up at wally world (that's what I got the 24" on")... I've tried that packaged shad (whole and cut-up) from wally world, but never got the first hit on it... Just recently got some dip bait and tried that - seems to do okay, but I haven't made a final decision on it yet... any other recommendations? I'm looking for eatin' size fish - not the monsters you all pull in...
    - has anyone fished the Kokosing? I've not tried it yet, but it runs right behind my house - very tempting.

Forgot to mention, no boat access, so I'm stuck on the bank... *sigh*

There's a lot more questions I have, but I'll ease myself in here... don't wanna ruin a good thing!

By the way - here's one last stupid question.

Twice now, I've had my rig on the bottom (slip sinker about 12" above a swivel, with about 12-14" of leader then a nightcralwer on a kahle hook), had a QUICK hit on the pole, and then nothing. By nothing, I mean, the hook is gone, the swivel is gone, even the slip sinker is gone. It's like something just bit the line. In the first case there was a boat about 10 feet away from my line trolling, so we checked his prop but there wasn't anything there... in the second case there were no boats around at all... I know there are turtles in that lake, but whatever it was took about two feet of line (assuming it was going after the 'crawler) - so I'm kinda doubtful that a turtle did it... anyone have any ideas? I told my wife there must be alligators in there, but she didn't buy into it... :wink:

Sorry for making this so long-winded!

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Welcome to BOC Jerry. 1st off, aint it nice to feel like a kid again ? I'm also new here and I'm having a blast ! I always wished my dad took me fishing as a kid but they are anti-fish..period. My memories consist of hiding my fishing pole in the woods and sneaking off to fish in Amityville harbor, N.Y. for bluefish ( snappers ). Now blessed with 2 youngins myself I will have plenty of new memories to make. Ok, I'm drifting away again but anyway I would prolly say most use cut bait or liver. I shore fish on lighter tackle than most and use bluegill/bream. As far as the line part I'm not sure, is it maybe a abrasion problem ? Or your weight somehow nicking your line. I'm sure plenty of feed back is on the way....

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Jerry, Welcome to the B.O.C. Enjoy your stay here! I hope to meet you at the International gathering.

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC Jerry, your gonna luv this place. Be sure to check out our libary.

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC from Missouri Jerry. Id say it's either bad knots or your sinker is cutting the line. Try a bead between the swievel knot and sinker. Also look at your knot and first few freet of line before each cast. Might loacte your problem this way.

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jerry. Lots of good info. on here. One of the best things you can do it purchase a cast net and learn to throw it. Find a place that has shad and get them for bait. Perch-bluegill also work very well at times and can be easily caught with a small piece of worm on a hook and bobber. Fresh bait will be your best bet but for channels you may try chicken or turkey livers also.
    I would try to find a few more areas with diff. depths and keep trying until you have them patterned.

Good luck to you out there.....

7. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was thinking the same things - something cutting/fraying the line... I was holding the sliding sinker in place with a small split shot, could very well be doing it... of course, it could be bad knot too, which would explain why it's gone after the hit (I'm assuming the split shot and sliding sinker are sliding off the end afterwards)...

Thanks for the clues, guys! But I'm gonna keep insisting to my wife it's gator... heh heh heh

Thanks for all the welcomes! I'm still checking out the library (have already picked up a lot of useful info there)...

'nuther question, though, for those of you familiar with Ohio regs - is it legal to use 'gill for bait? I was thinking it wasn't, but if it is...

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Jerry, welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:.

9. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    its is legal to use bluegills as bait as long as you catch the bluegills by legal means""Cast nets are illegal for bluegills"" rod and reel or any other pole and they are good to go as bait

10. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Now that's VERY good to know!!!

Wow - this has paid off already....

11. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.

12. barrelbritches

barrelbritches New Member

State:
    Texas
    It has happen to me just like spoon is talking about. Try what is talking about it will work. oooooo welcome to catfish1 best site on the net.

13. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Welcome to the family Jerry. Hope you find all the info you need and alot of stuff you didnt realize you needed.

14. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Welcome to the BOC!

15. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Welcome to the BOC Jerry. As far as bait for eatin' size fish, worms, livers, dipbait, catalpa worms, and small pieces of cut bait are all pretty good. I'm not sure about your line breaking problem. Check your line for bad spots before each trip and retie your knots if needed, or maybe use a little bigger line. Also, old line can break easily so respool if your line is over 2 yrs. old(just an estimate). Hope this helps, and good luck fishin'.

16. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Welcome to the BOC. from Arkansas.

17. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Welcome to the BOC! You have gotten a lot of good information. If I were you, the first thing I would do is purchase a $20.00 cast net and learn how to throw it. When you go to Knox, look for disturbances on the top and cast over them. Shad and Bluegill make excellent cut bait. You will want to fillet each side and cut off the head, throwing the tail away. Each baitfish makes 3 pieces of bait. Learn what the good knots are. The palomar is the strongest but I have always tied.... well... Put the end of the line through the eye, grab the end and some line above the hook, wrap it about 6 times and run the tag end through the bottom loop (in the line) and back through the top section and snug up. My best channel catting occurs during the day. I just got back from Dillon lake where I caught a dozen lost 2 and missed 3-4, biggest about 6 lbs most 3-4 and a few babies.
    Good luck and if you are ever free on a Wed or Thurs look me up.

18. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Welcome to the Boc jerry, Theres a lot you could learn here. Um Channels you can catch from 45 minutes to sunset to early morning those are prime bites. Cut baits such as shad I would say if your looking for eating size, but remember to use selective harvest. Just don't keep all of em, set a size limit for yourself, if there over or under throw em back.

19. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks guys - I really do appreciate all the info... like I said, I've been lurking for a little bit and finally just got enuff nerve to post an intro today... :)

as for the line breakage thing - both poles it happened to had new line on 'em, no more than a month old... I'm thinkin' it was probably the knot, if anything. I've been tying this kind of funky knot thing that works well when it works, but if I don't tie it just right then it will slip off... Odd thing about it, though was there was no curl to the line where it broke, like it does if the knot unties... the line was just straight. Oh well - will force me to keep a closer eye on things...

Shawn, don't be surprised if I do pop in there sometime - I can use all the help I can get! About the cast net - I thought that you cudn't catch 'gills with one, right? Shad is okay, though. Am I correct on that?

I'm going to be going back to the lake tomorrow and try some of the stuff I picked up today - spozed to be a front coming through. I'll keep you all updated...

Thanks again!

20. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jerry Welcome to the BOC from So. Illinois.:0a25::0a18::0a25: