Total for the season

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by beetle, Jan 12, 2009.

1. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well boxed everything up and shipped it off to be all tanned and a few things made out of some. I decided since prices were not to good last year and no one knows this year that instead of giving the fur a way for nothing, I'd pay to get it made into some stuff for gifts. I'm getting teddy bears made for the grand kids, wife and daughter and a hat for me. The rest is just going to be tanned. The picture of my first time catches of Beaver and Mink I trapped this season and a pile of yotes. My totals this season:
    Coyote-14
    Raccoon-27
    Red Fox-1
    Gray Fox-2
    Mink-1
    Beaver-2
    Muskrat-9
    Opossum-12

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Nice work Roger. That one beev is a hoss.:crazy:

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Nice Roger, is that normal, less than, better than, for your usual run? And yes I agree with John, that is a very nice Beve..... How long of a line ya run?

4. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Nice season Roger and a lot of work. Good idea to not give it away at todays prices.

5. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

good job on the catch, i am still wacking and stacking just got done skinning some coon tonight as a matter of fact.

6. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Good Job Roger .. You have some good looking fur there ... I guess when the time comes I will just sell mine and hope for the best in prices ... Garry-

7. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Randy, that is a lot less than the past few years. Past couple of years we have run about 12-14 farms. This year we stayed closer to home and only ran about 6. One reason do to my work schedule and weather and the other is last year we got burned pretty bad on most of the furs we sold. An example is we averaged about $25-$30 on coyotes in the past, last year we got $8-$10 and some never even sold. What was salt on the wound was NAFA sent a letter stating our coyote was best of the lot! :angry:This year we did not set as many traps and tried targeting some animals we had not had a chance to before. Past years mostly trapped K-9's this year I tried my luck on some water sets. last year we ended up we 47 coyote and most years over 100 raccoon. Last year we had a hard time finding any nice coon. This year what we did catch were nice but we did not set very many sets for them do to the fact the money was not going to be there for them. I'd rather pay and a little and have something made out of it that will last a lifetime or pay a little and get it tanned and just keep it, too much work to get nothing out of it.

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Roger I can understand that, I have not followed anything to do with trapping myself for a very long time, my uncle used to do a lot of it around here back in late 70's-80's, looking back now it was a ton of work, but it sure never did seem to be at the time. I wouldn't know the 1st thing on prices any more, but I do remember it sure was fun learning and doing with unc over the years back then. Even have my old coon cap he made for me in 1982, so them items you are doing IMO, are going to be priceless. I know the old cap is, just can't do much with it anymore as my rotten Rottie tries to attack it no matter if it is on the wall or your head! :eek:oooh: