Total disgust....

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by AwShucks, Aug 22, 2006.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I am sorry to say I am human, and at times I get a little upset with myself because other brothers on the board do not agree with me about the tackle they use to catch fish, or the number of poles they use, or the manner of catching fish (jugs, trots, noodling) etc. I tell myself all the time that it is their right to have their opinion, as it is my right to form and express my opinions. This said, let me get to the part which disgusts me.
    I live about 100 yards off Guthrie Lake in central Oklahoma. Due to the drought we are experiencing, the lake is down six or seven feet. My friend, Fuzzface, and I went walking the shore today sort of scavaging whatever we could find. We found a lot of lead from split shots up to 5 ounces and a bunch of lures the bass fishermen left snagged in brushpiles when they were submerged. We also found about a 5 pound saugeye, several 16 to 18 inch channels, some carp, some white bass and 1 largemouth bass which had died for some reason or another. We also found two flatheads which would weigh between 30 to 35 pounds. We thought the lake was getting depleted of oxygen and the fish were dying, as so many lakes In Oklahoma are reporting. However, the game wardens said these fish died because some sportsmen was using too light of line, allowed the fish to take the bait and play with it, so when the hook was set, they were gut hooked. Then the lines either broke or the sportsmen practiced CPR. I still think 20 lb test line would handle just about anything swimming in North American waters. But, I'd rather everyone fished with 65 lb Power Pro than to see 1 dead catfish because the guy didn't know what he was doing. That, to me, is totally disgusting.

2. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Awshucks, this did need to be said! Rep for this!

Why:

Because NONE of us really knows what happens to a fish once we CPR it. Now I am a VERY big CPR advocate (though I understand if others want to keep em) and I often wonder what goes on in the day or two after my big fight with Mr/Mrs whiskers. If I am a bit tired after a good battle, what then of the fighter involved that is 1/10 or less my weight... my opponent... the fish???

I think youve made a great point and the moral I took from it was yes... use proper line for the job but ALSO to remember that this fish needs the utmost care, speed, and attention in returning it back to grow and fight another day. Otherwise the entire endeavor was useless and you may as well have eaten the fish.

Gosh... the way you put this really really got to me. GREAT THREAD, Great point, and thank you!!!!

ALSO- if you cut the gills at all, do the fish a favor: Put it outta his misery and take him home. He will bleed out anyhow.

Sal

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Good post, but I question how in the world a game warden could know that without actually seeing the fish being caught and then tracking them after release. It sounds at best like a wild guess.

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Any fish that I catch that has damage to it goes under the fillet knife. You can't control how a fish is hooked when you can't see it. Sometimes hooks don't also go where you want them to. Even the most responsible CPR fisherman will have guthook a fish once in a while. I'd rather see a fish that badly injured feed somebody then end up on the bank rotting.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    A slew of game wardens were at the lake today getting ready for the exposition I posted earlier in the Oklahoma threads. They said they thought it had to be because the fish were not handled properly as all indications they had from the lake was that the oxygen level is not depleted. They said not to worry, there are bigger ones in Guthrie Lake than those babies. I am going out with them Fri evening to see how they shock fish for their studies.

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    good post Larry, hope you let us know what you learn when you go out with them.

7. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Unfortunitely no matter how you fish, there will always be fish that die. If you use line that is soo strong, theres a chance it gets wrapped, and you have to cut it. Then the fish is hung until it gets loose, or dies. And no matter what hooks you fish with(other than circles), they can at time all hook fish the wrong way. Heck even circle hooks could catch a fish in the gill.

8. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    yea that will discuss you. thats why i try to eat what i catch.why turn them loose. unless there ilegal fish. i paid 45 dollers for my fishing license 45 dollers to me is alot so yes im going to try to get something from it.to me its survival and a sport.good luck hope yall get some rain soon hope yall dont have another dust bowl. my friends dad lives up around there but in texas said the bull neetles are dieng and there roots are like 6 ft deep.

9. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    oh no! i think i hear PETA coming! they need more ammo for their propaganda machine.

10. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    Great post and good to see you are trying to aquire some more knowledge and share it with us. You are a credit to fishermen everywhere.

11. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    why are they going to shock them? thats crazy its going to stress the fish out more you would think the bunny huggers would join forces with peta to stop them:lol:

12. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    The game and fish people Shock them so they can see how many fish there are per acre also to check on there growth rate also what kind of fish and bait:cool2: In the waters they are checking

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It is not just the catfish which are shocked. They can tell how well a lake is doing by the number of sport fish compared to the number of trash fish, how is the shad population, is the crappie stunted, are the bass abundant. They shocked this lake about 8 years ago and it had so many shad in it they introduced the saugeye to help control the shad population. Now the are more and bigger bass, bigger crappie, bigger cats and bigger saugeye. The only ones which seemed to be hurt is the shad. They can also tell if there is a disease present and treat the lake if needed. If a species is found which is harmful to the state fisheries, like the snakehead, they could poison the entire lake to stop the spread and start all over. I think it is an excellent practice to keep abreast of a lakes condition and use that to adjust fishing pressure and regulations.

14. Aquakeeper

Aquakeeper New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I got a question (probably stupid of me to ask) but anyways....what is fish CPR? Do that stand for somthing other then what I think it does?

I know after u catch a fish u place it back in the water and move the fish in your hands back and forth in the water so it kind of revives the fish and lets it swim away. Is that why u talking about or is it somthing different?

Thanks
    Chris

15. benneeb0y

benneeb0y New Member

State:
    VA
    damn thats alot a fish just to be layn on the bank. n bluesbrother. it cost 45 dollars for a license in texas????

16. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    hahaha...i found another one of your post!!!I`ll gladly answer question.CPR stands for catch,photo and release.

17. Aquakeeper

Aquakeeper New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Gotcha...Now I know and can use that lingo on all my friends. LOL

18. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Great Post. I wish that all fishermen were able to read this because just maybe the people that do this would wisen up and think of everyone fishing future. Without the big boys spawning then where will every species of fish be for our children and their children. I have personally seen alot of dead fish throwed in weeds or people releasing fish that they really should have taken home to fry.

19. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    No matter how they died, it's a shame that they went to waste and nobody got any good out of them. It's like somebody hitting a deer with a car and leaving the deer on the side of the road to rot. It's just a shame! grizzy

20. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    We did some stream shocking when I was in college, Ichtheology class. Very few fish were more than just stunned, this ain't going to produce a huge fish kill.............that would be sort of counter productive towards their goal:lol: