tossing on the bank?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by JERMSQUIRM, Oct 22, 2005.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well i would like to express my opinion on a topic. in a cpulpe of posts on the new site it was mentioned that "i just toss these fish on the bank" :eek: well i can't say im the picture perfect sportsmen but this i sure as heck find unacceptable behavior.

for one its just the upmost rudest thing to the fella whom comes there to fish behind ya. would you like to sit next to rotting maggot filled flesh for hours and fish? i sure as heck wouldn't.

now some of ya say well its only a carp. well carp are good fighters and deserve better IMHO. and some folks including me sometimes eat a few. and a 5-7# er makes a good meal. and a heck of a big stink when tossed on the bank. and filks it don't end there.

i went to powerton lake this feb to get some early fishing in at the hot water. i seen drum from 2-6# laying on the bank and several fiddlers. :eek:
    yes catfish. now how would ya like seeing this. :cursing: and by doing this we only increase the # of species tossed. those channels could have grown up into 20#ers. what was this angler thinking??? :crying: maybe he was a bassfishermen. so to him it was like those of us whom toss carp and think its ok.

well its not! the only species that should be disposed of (and not all over the bank) is a non native destructive fish like the bighead thata destroying the illinois and miss.

if you want to practice unsportsmen like conduct fine. just don't tell us about it. to me it ain't no different than littering.

when im done fishing i toss my shad into the water so the fish and turtles can have an easy meal. i :cursing: hate seeing them tossed at or on the ramps. its just plain being a slob.

if this offended you then ya must partisapate in this activity and i hope i changed your mind the next time. keep the waters and the banks clean. :D

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    It is also illegal in most states, it's called Wanton waste.<spelling may be off. But it means if you harvest it you dont waste it. This goes for all wild life here also. It only gives the antis a reason to fuel there fire and makes us all look bad. Good post bro.!

3. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    I agree it does make a stink. Here it is more bait then dead fish though. Liver or shad being left on the bank in the sun creates a sickening smell after a whil and attracts ants, yellow jackets, and animal that just are not fun at night while fishing.

-brian

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    that was a good post cats i agree 100% i myself dont like carp nor have any use for em but i release em back into the water if i get one. i have seen lots of others leaving fish on the bank it tickes me off big time. another one ive seen too i wish people would stop doing is cleaning thier fish and disposing of the innards etc on the dock or ramp or in the parking lot.

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep. me too :cursing: this is also illegal in most states. in illinois even putting the guts into the water they came will get ya a fine.

6. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Great post and I couldn't agree with you more. It is completely senseless and it takes no more effort to toss the fish back into the water than it does to toss it on the bank. I still see it occasionally too, but I am happy to say that it doesn't seem like it happens as much as when I was a kid. Back then you would see gar and carp everywhere, although a lot were from bowfishermen. When I bowfish I still take everything with me and either give it to someone who will use it, bury em for fertilizer, or chop em up for cutbait (talking gar and carp here). Some people just don't think. I don't think there is such a thing as "trashfish".

7. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I agree, Good post. Later I may come back and vent a little. Right now I'm heading to lake with full ice chest. I know when I get to my lot, The neghbors have left some B.S. trash etc laying around. :mad:

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Great Post Guys And Would Like To Say That I See It Way To Many Times. Half Full Chicken Live Cups Cut Fish Left On Banks Or At Ramps. Just Dump The Left Over Liver Or Fish In The Water, Fish Will Eat It. And Take Your Trash Home I Hate Seeing Them All Over The Banks Help Keep The Waters Clean.

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    These people better not let me see them doing it. There may just be words (not kind ones :cursing: ) and possibley an altercation. It is things like this that make us as catfishermen, look bad!!! I think that this can be avoided with education and taking pride in what you do as a fisherman. I also can be very educational in my aproach :D :D !!!!

10. abilene

abilene New Member

State:
    abilene, tx
    Another great post jerm! Great thread.

11. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Jeremy, in this case I'd have to say ,screw what the law/s say,
    It's just pure and simple waste. I don't care what it it is. i can't stand to see something wasted. If its a fish thats good for nothing,fine, follow your lead and chop it up and at least feed something in the water with it.
    Good point, good post!

12. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    The only fish that I kill, are the those big head carp. I was speaking to a conservation officer and he advised me that destroying these fish was encouraged because they eat plankton, just like the native gizzard shad. He advised me that these carp were starting to effect the shad population and was advising anglers to kill them if they could. Now, when I do kill one, I always throw it back into the water or on a wing dike. That way a bird of prey or the native fish have an easy meal.

13. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Jeremy, You made a very good point bro. I have eaten carp and they are good smoked. I have to agree with you on this one.

14. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

You go Gir.....Jeremy!!!! I went with him to Powerton this spring, and it is disgusting. If there was a ton of gulls that would eat the fish, I can see a few, but your looking at 40-50 lbs of fish lying on the bank as you walk down to fish. It's disgusting, and shameful to think these people call themselves fisherman.

Ray

15. ohiocattracker

ohiocattracker New Member

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Great post Jeremy i agree 100% i have seen that around the Ohio river guys had threw carp and gars on the bank to rot.I have a freind down home that found two deers right on the wood line for his soy bean feild.He told me they where all there but there heads thats bad just killed for that mount on the wall.

16. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    At one of the local lakes, there are some people who fish with minnows.
    before they leave, they dump the water out of the minnow bucket onto the dock. THe water smells nasty because all of the minnows have died in it for a couple hours. Instead of dumpin the water in the water, they always dump it on the dock. Then we have to smell it the rest of the night.

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ray, your :cursing: :cursing:ing A straight. you know exactly what im talking about. seen for yourself how bad that little lake is. :cursing:

18. omots2

omots2 New Member

State:
    abrerdeen md
    great post guys this is a problum far larger than people realise in a lot of states it is wrong to dump any kind of fish on the bank but the find is wmall 25-45 dollars so what i do is tell the person about the enviortmental promlem he or she it causing then fine them for littering yhats 250-1,000 that sems to get there attention .Most of the time the spot they fish stays clean after that.Ihate to do things that way but some people only learn the hard way :)

19. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Omots, You have a bit more athority to handle it in that manor, but us regular Joes don,t have that kind of clout. So we have to sometimes resort to drastic measures or just wait till they leave and clean it up!!!

20. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    last nite the wife let me take off with a freid to go take a look at a new bank fishing hole he found. (only reason i said let me take off is she just had surgery and i wont leave the house lol) we got there and while walking around looking it over we caught 2 guys dumping a old washer on the bank. my friend is a sheriff in this county. boy was that fun to watch him in action with them guys. needless to say they wont be dumping anymore i dont thing.