Torque specs for motor and new control cables?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Big Dav, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I took the steering cable and control cables off last night to start the install for the power steering. I had to drop the motor to get the steering cable out. I called a couple of local boat dealers and they just said they tighten the bolts down good and "snug". I would rather them be installed a little more accurately than "snug".
    Does anyone know the torque spec for the transom bolts on a 115 Johnson? It is mounted to a jack plate if that makes any difference. I left the jack plate attached to the transom and removed three of the four bolts to tilt the motor so I could pull the steering cable. The bolts I removed were the bolts that hold the motor onto the jack plate. I have read on line from 40 ft pounds to 100 ft pounds.:confused2:

Also, I need to purchase a set of longer control cables. I need a set of 20 ft cables for a 2005 Johnson 115 with the controls on a center console (if that makes a difference).
    Where would be the best place to buy them and what is the best brand cables to go with?

Thanks again,
    David

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Dave the torque will depend on the size of the bolts and the type of metal they are going through. If it alum and cast I just snug them down good and tight and after a trip or two just resnug them.
    On the cabels I order mine through the telex web site. I may not have spelled that right but west marine or just about and good marine web site sells them. I'll Pm you a link to a guy I deal with quit often.

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Willard,
    Thanks for the help and information. I ordered the teleflex tfxtreme cables today. Time will tell how they work out.
    How hard are the cables to adjust once they are re-installed? I have a service manual on the way (SELOC brand manual). Will it cover the adjustments? Am I better off to try to find a shop to adjust them for me?
    Thanks again,
    David

4. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree on the snug and check route . the only thing I would add is if they aren't all ready . Use Nylok nuts for that aplication. They are darn cheap trouble stoppers for anything that critical to your saftey.