Toronto Lake?

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by smhmc6, Mar 27, 2007.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Anybody had any success at Toronto Lake? I used to know someone that went there around mother's day every year and he said he did pretty well. I'm curious, if you've fished there, are there any big blues, flats...? Also, what area is the best? I may be going there this summer sometime. Thanks

2. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I know there are some big flathead and channel cat, but no blues. There is also some unbelievable crappie in the lake, and the river above the lake. 2 lb crappie is old news to them guys around there. We get up there a few times a year, very secluded and quiet, compared to the lakes around here.

3. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the responce Jeff. I see you are from Wichita also. This is a little off the subject, but I went to my favorite little catfish pond the other day and was a little suprised. I am on spring break this week so I wanted to go out to that Kdot east pond. Well I knew they stocked it with trout but I didn't know you had to have a trout permit even if you are fishing for catfish. Kind of made me a little upset (I know the permits are only $12 but for a poor college kid, its pretty annoying), is this a new rule for this year? Well anyway I'm done venting on this I guess. Thanks again for the reply about Toronto Lake.

4. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I havent been there for awhile but i used to go there alot and we used to catch some nice channels and flats. Like jeff said i dont think there are any blues in there. They do have some nice crappi. A budy went up there last weekend and 28 2# to 2 1/2# crappi. I think the biggest fish we ever caught was a 30# flat. I am sure there is bigger. Hope this helps. Like jeff said though it is a very quiet lake its nice

5. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Don't even get me started on that crazy rule. It really urks me that they take a non-native fish and stock all these waters around here with them, where they will only live a few months of the year, then die, and charge everyone who wants to fish these waters through April an extra $12 to do so, whether you are fishing for them or not. Really ticks me off!:angry: I did not want the darn things here, and do not plan on taking any, so why should I have to buy the permit??

It is not the amount that bothers me as much as the hassle of having to go buy the darn thing that is a pain in the butt.

OK, done venting. Where are you going to school? I would assume WSU, but if you are on spring break, I could be way off. I went to PSU years ago, that is when I started to hit Fall River and Toronto, just because I drove by them so much on the way home and back to school.

6. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    No, I actually go to school in Rolla, MO. Anyway, Toronto sounds like my kind of place... nice and quiet. I think I'm sold, I'll be making a trip out there with a few buddies come summer time. Being secluded like you all say, there must be some good camping areas. Anywhere out there you can put up a tent without paying parking fees and all that kind of stuff?

7. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I think it is pretty much all state park, so you will have to pay the state fees, but for primative camping they are minimal.

There may be a few places on the river you can pitch a tent without paying, but I am not sure.

8. drifter106

drifter106 Member

State:
    kansas
    Have hit Toronto for the last few years now for channel cat fishing during the summer months. Last August had some real good days drifting with fresh shad. Would start near sunup (would usually only fish till noon...heat). Fish were around 2 to 12 lbs. Had some friends catch some in the teens. Drop offs were the key...drifting over them and into the flats maybe 50 yards. Lots of shad...lots. There will be some good fishing this year for sure!! Crappie are real nice too...they have been on the banks for a little over a week now. Females I have caught, their eggs are not ready but the water temp has them close to the banks.

Good luck fishing!!

9. I went out to the focast tab on the KDWP web site and It shows that Toronto had excellent numbers of crappi and white bass. Don't know if they are hungry but they are at least there. I have attached the forcast page link. You need to click on the species you want to get a forecast for.

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/fishing/fishing_forecast

10. KSFish

KSFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    If I remember right, when I was a kid, we used to fish for channel behind the dam. We would drift shad sides or blood. Seemed to do pretty good if I remember right, but that has been years ago...:roll_eyes:

11. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Todd,
    Thanks for the link. A couple of friends and me are planning on El Dorado or Toronto with Calvin in a month or so. If El Dorado doesn't get some water, we'll definitely be going to Toronto. After listening to you guy's, and Calvin, I think I'd just as soon come down to Toronto. It's always nice to fish new water any way, thanks again.