Toronto Lake Catfishing

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by smhmc6, Jul 4, 2007.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'm planning a trip here in a month to go to Toronto. Can anyone share what areas of the lake are good? Fishing forecast says the channel density is pretty good. We plan on targeting channels and flathead. Just looking at maps, to me the area that looks good is up in the Verdigris river (north end). It looks like 54th street has a bridge crossing over it... if anyone is familiar with the area, is that something that you could pull off and put a carry on jon boat on? I'll probably go up there in about 2 weeks for a "mini-trip" and do some scouting, but if anyone knows the best areas to narrow down my search... that would be a lot of help. Also, what size channels and flathead do you think we could expect? One website said channels all the way up to 20 pounds and of course nothing on flatheads since they are hardly ever researched. Whatever you know and are willing to share, I'm sure it would help.... Thanks

2. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    I think there is a ramp on the west side of the Verdigris between Highway 54 and Toronto Lake. Just take the first southbound road west of the bridge on 54. The lake is currently 30 ft high http://www.swt-wc.usace.army.mil/TORO.lakepage.html so everthing will be a muddy mess in there. This is second and third hand info but I beleive that at normal pool there was a large log jam on the Verdigris keeping one from getting to the main lake on the Verdigris. Of course at thirty feet high there will have been some major rearrangments. Other folks on here should be able to get you some good first hand info. Anyhow good luck and will be eager to read any postings on your trip.

3. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    LBM,s info about the ramp and the jam are right on. We camped there last fall when the lake was at normal pool, I'm having trouble imagining what it looks like 30' high. The boat ramp on the river and the ramps at Toronto Point will be under water right now for sure. We ran lines up in the river, bite wasn't very good then and there was a bit of competition. There is a road that heads west out of Toronto that will take you right up to the head of the jam, you could see where someone had slide a small boat in the water there. Wonder how much the lake will drop by the time you get there, spillway may be the place to fish in they are still discharging.

4. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks guys I really appreciate the advise. I knew the lake would be up, but hadn't thought about the fact that it could be up that much!! I'm sure that would change the landscape and a lot of things would be under water. I was thinking about camping in that area called Toronto Point, but I imagine most of that would be under water now too. Hopefully it will be down a lot by that time.

Now I have heard a lot of people talk about fishing spillways but never really understood exactly what that means. I assume it is just below the dam and not above right? Is it just cause the fish below are waiting for the bait fish to be "spilled" through the dam?

5. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Toronto Point (Cross Timbers) will not be under water but everything else will. It wouldn't be wise to put a boat on the lake for a while due to all the underwater hazards that are normally on dry land and all the snags floating around in the water. Its going to be awhile until the water settles down enough to do any good fishing unless you fish below the dam. That can be good but a guy has to enjoy lots of company while he's trying to fish.