tornado!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by big-muddy, Jun 26, 2009.

1. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    so i got off of watch and was hangin out outside on base with some guys and one guy was talkin about natural disasters and we all shared some stories and then we started talkin about tornados and who had seen them and who hadnt. it wasn't storming out or even raining, just a little cloudy and very calm. well i got sick of the conversation and decided to walk to the galley and have dinner, when i came around the corner of the barracks and looked up and ..Whoa!! there was a big ole tornado not a mile away from us! it wasnt even makin any noise, but it was definitly a twister. it was on the ground and kickin up plenty of dust. ive seen a few before but never that close! im tryin to get the pic off my phone, if i get it to work, ill post it up later.
    and just the fact that we were just talkin about them! freaky!:eek:oooh:

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    heres a pic of it as it was goin over the st. johns..from the news website.

Attached Files:

3. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Awesome Shane, I've been close to one..... that is enough for me!

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Shane it sounds like you have hidden powers.:wink: If you can change that over to fishing I would like to schedule a trip. I have seen a few and one up close. That is enough.

5. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've seen several over the years, but only one up close and personal. I now carry a change of underwear in my car.:smile2::smile2: Nice pic. Stay safe and keep you head to the sky!!!

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    :smile2::smile2::smile2:

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Neat picture Shane.

I saw my first last year, south of Cuba at sea.

8. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That is so awesome! Gotta respect mother nature. Beautiful and treacherous at the same time.

9. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Great picture! We lived in Jacksonville about 28-29 years ago. It always amazed me that during the summer, just about every afternoon, it would cloud up, come a good rain, & then clear off. We lived on the St.Johns river between those two main bridges, the Hart (?), & the other one---sorry, can't remember the names of either! We used to have a pair of manatees that came under the dock just about every day.
    Sorry...rambled a little there! Again, awesome picture, & yep--kinda freaky that you were just talking about it!!:crazy:

10. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    heres what it looked like when i came around the corner and first saw it

Attached Files:

11. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Awesome pics of the Tornadic activity Shane. " Tis the Season" for Mother Nature to show her way of the weather. Just thankful everyone is safe and stayed clear of it!! One again, THANKS, for sharing the story and the pictures!!

12. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Awesome story and picture Shane. Reps:wink:

13. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the picture, Shane. It brought back memories of standing in that parking lot!

That was a rare sighting. A couple of years ago I watched a funnel cross the four lane highway in front of my house. It missed my house by about five hundred yards or so...a little too close for comfort!

14. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    so you were in the barracks at NAS jax at one point too then?