Tornado Shelters who's got'em

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by T-Bone, May 12, 2006.

1. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Tornado shelters who's got'em and how do ya like'em? I've always wanted one but the funds have not been there. Since it's that time of year again. I've been lookin' into these things again.
    1. What kind is the best? Concrete or Fiberglass. Built in or Under Ground.
    2. Tell us what ya would change on the one ya have.
    3.Tell us what the best features are about the one ya have.
    4. Is building one yourself the best way to go?

I really think having one of these is a great investment in your family's safety.

2. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I have one and it's underground encased in concrete kind of like a bunker. It's kind of old and a little dirty but at least it's not going anywhere with anything short of a nuclear blast:roll_eyes: I would say it is well worth it especially if you have a family. I keep some water, MRE's and a flashlight in it just in case along with a couple of blankets. Haven't used it yet but like they say better safe than sorry.

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I guess you could say I have one. Actually, it originally was a bomb shelter, but I converted it over to a wine celler, years ago. It is made of reinforced concrete, 8 inches thick, floor, walls and ceiling, with four 12 inch piers holding the roof up. It's about 11 ft X 21 ft. with water and drain. Other than the 500 + bottles of wine, we have canned food, water, extra clothes/shoes, medications, first aid, LED lighting, windup radio/flashlight, sleeping bags, blankets, table and chairs. All together, we are set up for 4 people.
    What I would change? Easy, I wish I had a ventalation system in it.

4. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    We had one installed about 2 months ago after a tornado zipped 2 miles down the road. It was a 2 piece rebar, reinforced concrete one. They came out dug the hole, leveled it and set in the bottom. Then used some sort of adhesive sealing tape about half an inch thick and set the top part on. It squashed out the sealant tape and they filled in around it.

It cost 2550 complete. FEMA reimburses you 1000 bucks but you have to go to the county disaster agent. He will come out and take picures, fill out forms, etc. You provide him a copy of the bill of sale and he forwards them in. He told us it would be about 3 months before the rebate came in from FEMA due to the Katrina hurricane expenses incurred by the state but it would come in. About 2 weeks later we got a letter from FEMA stating the cellar was approved and a check would be forthcoming.

To meet FEMA regulations, it has to be so thick and the door has to be able to be locked or deadbolted in 3 positions on the door. The one we got has one handle and when you turn it, it puts on deadbolt on all the sides except the one with the hinges.

I think it would be rather expensive to do it youself unless you have a backhoe, cement mixer, etc. The underground part would have to be sealed to prevent ground water from coming in too.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That's a great thing that FEMA gives you back part of the $.

6. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Squirtspop, how did you find out that FEMA will give you back part of the money. My father-in-law had a shelter built just last year and I never heard him say anything about a discount. I wonder if it depends on what part of the country you live in? They live in West Tenn. where it's pretty flat, so I would think it would be legit for him to see about this discount if he's not too late to apply for it. Me and the wife are going to visit her Mom and Dad this weekend so I'll mention it to him, thanks for the info on that.

7. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Chuck, Thanks for that info. I never knew FEMA would help with the cost. I just may be able to get one now that I have a lil info about FEMA. That should help alot of folks out with the cost of this family protection. I'm gonna check into it more and see what they can do for my family.
    Thanks agin for that bit of info. Every body ought to check this out.

8. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    If I just had enough money to buy this place. I would love to live in this missle silo. Nothin could harm you, you could even go to the extend of installing chemical warfare filters to purfiy the air, but it stays at 58 degrees year round.

http://www.silohome.com/id22.htm

chris

9. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Hey Chris that's a sweet home. I didn't see the price but I bet it's on up there. Thanks for the link.