Tormenting turtles

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Fishin'_Fool, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Fishin'_Fool

Fishin'_Fool New Member

State:
    Moberly MO
    I was just wondering if any others have had problems with catching turtles using live perch for bait. It seems like the past few times I've gone fishing the turtles either mutilate my bait or end up getting hooked:angry:. Is there any ideas on how to avoid them??

2. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    I've never had a problem catcing turtles; they are always willing to bite for me. Ohhhh, that's not what you meant. Yeah, moving is bout all you can do, next to making a lot of turtle soup. Another option if the water's not too deep is to get in and stir up the bottom and splash around a while, that usually runs em off.:tounge_out::tounge_out:

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I only use cut bait, and the turtles are so bad right now in the river I fish, it is unreal.

Every spot I try it's the same, within minutes of casting out I got a turtle chewing on my bait.

4. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    must be one good year for turtles , i have the same problem in lakes here, havent really found a way to keep them from taking bait,not so sure there is a way , guess ya just gotta accept it as part of fishing

5. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I have not caught one in awhile but I hate catching turtles.

6. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    i just caught a huge softshell long nose a couple weeks back, but that was on cut skipjack. never had them mess with my live bait, at least i dont think i have. its just another nusance, like gar, to deal with out there. if there was a way to keep them from messing with your line im sure it would be no secret, especially on here. i guess if the turtles are willing to bite its probably a decent indacator that there really arent any good fish around that particular area that will.

7. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    the only way I have found is to catch the turtle and apply an ax or hatchet to his neck.

8. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    personally i dont have any trouble with turtles i guess its just good luck cause my buddies sure do. one buddy of mine caught 20-25 turtles in the same spot one night every cast was a turtle. i just injure them and let em go and it keeps em away

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri

I second the motion. Them leather backs make for some fine vittles. Fryed till brown, throw in anelectric skillet with some crawdad tails or shrimp, cream of mushroom soup and rice. Wow

10. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    i wish i would have known. i caught 3 big ones fridaynight/saturday morning, and one snapper that was 30 plus pounds. he wasnt happy about being caught, some guys bass fishing gave me a cheer when they saw him come on on shore.... until he started charging me. would have been happy to get them out to you, because i want them as far away from my spot as possible...lol

11. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    John do you pare boil your turtle before you fry him?

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    yessir, more tender if ya do.