Tore up my prop

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by SkipEye, Jul 15, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Okay, I am confused. New Boat 1 month old. RPM was too low topping at 4400 rpm before porpoising at WOT trimmed out. Prop is H1317, Im assuming 13 inch, 17 pitch.

SLAMMED my prop through something solid last night, all three blades trashed, skeg is smashed a tad bit but just needs filed smooth I hope, no cracks.

Manufacturers recommended RPM is 4500-5500 so what size do I buy to get me in a more efficient operating range?

Shouldn't I be at the upper end of the rpm range at WOT?

Oh yeah. 2072 SeaArk with 2007 90hp Yamaha, 2 stroke

Thanks.

2. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    welcome to owning a boat, it never ends, i have about 3 props now, one i use for duckhunting that is dinged to heck, and my fishing prop which looks like new, and a 4 blade i use once, i also have 2 other blades that were fixed, one i tore off a blade when i was backing up and hit something floating under the dock.

you may want to try a diffrent pitch prop, i had the same problems as well till i found a prop that works well for me, Luckely my dealer let me use diffrent pitch props till i found out which one worked well, just keep a eye on your tack when you play with prop pitch size.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Know your frustration on this. Been there and done that.

Try this and see what you come up with. http://www.turningpointpropellers.com/

The rule of thumb is that for every drop in pitch you gain around 200 to 250 rpm's. If it doesn't operate in the upper end of the R's then it can lead to motor problems.

4. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Hey BubbaKat. I currently have a 13 1/4", 17 pitch prop and my rpm is too low. The calculator you sent me to says to go with a 19 or 21 pitch. Do I have some other problem that I can't make rpm? That seems to be the wrong direction to go to increase my rpm???????

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It would seem to me that you have got another issue. You need to take that motor in and do a compression check and spark test. That 90 ought to be able to rip the hub right out of that 17 with no problem.

6. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    The boat is new and it has always run at 4400 rpm max?????

The dealer did put too small a gas fitting (wrong ones) on the gas tank which I haven't fixed yet but it doesn't act like it is starving for gas?

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I would take that motor in and have it checked out.If you hit something that hard you may have bent a shaft or broken a seal.Dont assume you can just put a new prop on it and go.I am amazed at how many peolpe run their engines with chewed up props on them.Those bent blades with chunks out of them set up vibrations that will eventually break something.You either have an issue that wont allow the engine to get in the proper RPM range or the prop is totally wrong.Never assume because it is new and from a dealer that it is correct:big_smile::smile2:I would have the engine checked now before you have a serious problem.

8. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i took the skeg right off of my 70 force on my 21ft toon, anybody know the best prop to put on it? it's chewed pretty good! any help appreciated

9. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i looked @ that prop wizard & that's a pretty good place to start, it said i needed the exact prop that i have now, yall might want to look @ it

10. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Where you screwed up was not taking the boat back to the dealer right away when you realized the RPMs weren't correct.

Every (reputable) dealer will work with you to get the "right" prop on your boat. I had to trade props 3 times on mine before I found the one that was right for mine. Also keep in mind that a 17 pitch aluminum prop isn't the same as a 17 pitch stainless steel "performance" prop.

Every boat is set up a little bit different and operated differently, so there's not "cookie cutter" solution to matching a prop to a boat/motor configuration. A good dealer's mechanic can get close the first time, but you still might need to go up or down an inch or two to get in the zone.

And yes, your motor should be turning near the top of the recommended range at WOT in your "normal" loading configuration -- which might mean it'll over-rev in a lightly loaded configuration or under-rev in a heavily loaded configuration.

But now that the horse is out of the barn, I'll go along with the recommendation to take the motor in for a check-out now before you just slap a new prop on the boat. Let the dealer know that you weren't happy with the previous prop and maybe he'll be willing to work with you to select the right new prop.

11. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Hey Marty and all,

Just talked to Sean at Cook's Marine. He is, as usual very willing to work with fixing my problems. I have always gotten great customer service and he stands behind his boats.

Anyway, it is possible that the tach is set wrong and is reading inaccurately. I am taking my boat in tonight and they are going to check it out, make sure the prop shaft isn't bent, set me up with a prop to try out and willing to trade up or down to find me the right combination.

He said something about a separate or interchangeable hub so all I have to buy is the blade part. $110.00 should hopefully get me fixed up with a new aluminum prop.

Lesson learned on the river during low water conditions.:angry:

12. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Glad to hear the dealer is taking care of you. I've never heard anything bad about Cook's so it's not surprising that you're being treated well.

Not much you can do though about the underwater hazards, short of learning the waterway and being doubly careful at night. I've hit two logs in the last 2 weeks fishing below Truman Dam - one that I thought was 2 separate logs and tried to go between, the other I didn't see till the last minute. Fortunately neither caused any damage to the lower unit or prop, though I'm not sure how I got so lucky...

13. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    after tearing the heck out of three aluminum props I went to a SS performance prop. What a difference, I'll never put another aluminum prop on My boat again. two seasons later and still on the same SS prop.

14. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Brad,

A SST prop sounds nice and all but if you slam something then you're just looking at twice as much to fix it right? Wrong?

I'm sure they'll take a harder hit before being damaged but it still probably doesn't take much to tear any of them up when you hit rock.

But hey, I don't know Jack.

Had a boat years ago and not once ever did I hit anything to tear the prop up. Buy a new boat and trash the prop in the first month.:angry:

15. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    I'm not sure as to the repair cost of a ss Vs. alum. but they will take 3X the abuse of an aluminum prop.

once You learn the river a bit better you'll hit stuff a lot less often. trust Me been there done that. When I first got My boat I was going through props really fast not knowing where to run and stuff like that. now i know My way around and have well established trails on My GPS that I follow to My favorite spots. My trails were saved during a time of record low water levels so I'm pretty confident they will be clear under normal circumstances.

It could Be worse. One of My Friends lost his whole lower unit last weekend on the Kaw. He hit something with with his 225 Evinrude and when He raised up the motor to survey the damage his lower unit was gone!!!!!! Man I can't imagine the repair bill for that, thank goodness for insurance.

16. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    You mean GONE, like missing completely?:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::beated:Man, I don't even know the guy and I feel sorry for him.

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    SS is a good investment AFTER you learn where the obstacles are :big_smile::roll_eyes::smile2:On the other hand SS takes more abuse but it also transfers more abuse to the engine when hit.JEEPERS lost the whole lower unit.I have to tell you I wouldnt go anywhere in that boat until I had the transom surveyed.I was fishing Percy Priest Res in Tenn one day ,going for smallmouths around the underwater rockpile down by the dam.It is clearly marked with buoys around it and on the center that say DANGER ROCKS.I was about 200meters off one side of it swimming grubs along the edge.A bass boat came at full speed and as I watched in amazement went through the outer ring of bouys and hit the rocks at at least 60 mph.His SS prop flew OVER my boat by about 10 feet and landed with a tremendous splash.It ripped the engine and transom right off that boat and it sank right on top of the rocks.Fortunately the driver wasnt hurt and when I asked him if he hadnt seen the bouys he said yes but didnt think it was that shallow.I'll guarantee you that was the most expensive decision he had made up to that point.:big_smile::smile2:

18. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    It is shameful but true when I say.Innocent lives have been saved when some kill their selves on the water.Many run at night at speeds where they can not stop or avoid anything in front of them.Many lay claim to safety with a Q beam which they use to blind all oncoming traffic,or worse allow their child to do so.A Q beam even allows them to navigate blind corners at high speeds safely.Most make their own danger on the water.I knew all of my life that I was going to hit things in the water.It truly does amaze me when anyone is surprised.They are in a boat and do not think that things can float,drift or change position.That clear channel going has killed many on the return trip over the years.I was taught as a child to operate a boat to do the least damage when this happens.It is going to happen.It cannot be a accident if you know that it is going to happen.Excess speed caused most of the so called accidents,deaths and damage that I personally know about.I don;t care how good you know that you are,all of of the fools you see out there think the same.The survives are the sufferers.Think,could each post have caused a fatality?Slow down and enjoy living.I do not want to outlive any of you.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

19. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Yes GONE, like missing completly. its a big heavy lund boat W/225 motor. next time I see Him on the water He's gonna give the coodinates to the spot He waypointed it on his GPS

20. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Took the boat to Cook's tonight. Sean checked it out, replaced prop, filed skeg, prop shaft is straight so I got lucky, went down to a 15 pitch so we'll see how she runs now.

I got off pretty cheap, although those Ben Franklins have been adding up lately.:eek:oooh: